Pages

Sunday, June 13, 2021

Farm Post number 3, 2021


Hello everyone.. 
Welcome to the Blessed Hearth this Sunday evening in June... 
Mid June already... 
I don't want the spring to be finished and summer at the door.. 
But that is time, eh? 
It passes and I am still trying to catch up.. 😙

This is farm post 3... 
It is actually a post of several days.. 
We were there most of the past week but came home in the evenings.. 
Hockey is on, you know... 😀
 
So several of these pics from a couple of weeks ago and such.. 
The apple tree and Aunt Eva's lilac tree have blossomed! 

And so have the Lupins and the lovely cows are out in the pasture.. 
all is well there as you can see... 

Usually, when we arrive at the farm I look around at the herb beds and pick a few for the day.. 

\And a little bouquet of johnny jump ups.... 
In a wee salt shaker... 


In the kitchen I unload my bag of goodies and light the incense.. 
I so love Sandalwood and Patchouli but one of you sweet readers mentioned you love Nag Champa and that it was a remnant of your hippie days... 😀
Well, I was enthralled shall we say and tried to find some.. As Terry has always called me a hippie-want-to-be I wanted to see if I would like it.. And thanks Sue, I love it... 
Terry appreciates it too.. 😃 

So on this particular day I headed for the pantry..


Such a gorgeous day out there but we were out of bread and I wanted it to be ready for lunch... 

Our farmer tills our gardens when it is time.. 
Much later then most of my readers but we still have a harvest even when it is late getting in.. 
Not late for us here in New Brunswick but the rest of the world.. lol.. 
I only made a loaf of no knead as we would eat it with our chowder.. 
I divided it in two loaves and made one chive.. 
I almost always make my own salad dressings as I have mentioned many times, I know... sorry.. 
Terry likes Kraft..  go figure!! 
One part lemon juice, 2 parts olive oil, dash of chili flakes, smashed garlic cloves and salt and pepper.. 
Add herbs of choice.. whisk.. soooo good!!
I was making myself an herb salad so didn't add any to the dressing.. 
He wouldn't like that one so I made him a tossed one.

We didn't have a lot in the fridge yet but the dressing was good.. 
You just mix up herbs that you love and add a bit of this and that.. 
I think I added cukes and onions, probably...
But mostly herbs.. 

then set the table.. 
I will confess... 
We don't eat every meal at the table.. 
We should and if we had children we would for sure.. 
But some evenings we have it on our tray.. smile.. 
Old age tricks, I guess.. 

I know what you are thinking.. grin.. 
That we eat a lot of fish chowders and you are right.. 
One of both of our favourite meals.. 
\

I bought these flowers as they look like violets.. 
Aren't they sweet?

Another day I pasted this little piece of border under that old cupboard.. 

There was just enough... 💗



More pics of the pantry... 
Sorry to have so many pantry pics but I was working in there quite a bit.. 
I still have an old cupboard to paint.. 
Hopefully this week, we shall see.. 

I always have time to read, though.. 


And pick some flowers and press them... smile.. 

This past Saturday I made Chili Dogs from my friend Marie who had the English Kitchen blog.. 

They were so good... 
Her pics were much better.. 
I do have chili there on top of the hot dog.. 😀



One day we had Greek Orzo Salad and on cheat day we almost always have Shrimp Pasta.. 

Oh dear... 
I see I have a food blog going on today... 
Pork Tenderloin on another day.. 
Someone was asking about the green fern vegetable on our plates.. 
They are Fiddlehead Ferns that we eat here like spinach.. 
Our son picks them beside the streams and rivers and cleans them really good... 
We eat them many ways but this is our favourite with butter and vinegar.. 
Just make sure you have the right fern... 
Some are poisonous!


I made some pickles with them this week and tried a few rhubarb ones  .. 
I love fermented rhubarb pickles and the fiddlehead ones but this is a new recipe for the rhubarb so we shall see... 

I love making Herbes de Provence from my own herbs..

a thrift store find..
from France   

And Garlic Scape Salt..

Here is a lovely way to use them when you want a snack or are entertaining... 
Our children took us to Gustos last year and this was one of the appetizers.. 
We tried to figure it out and this is pretty close.. smile.. 

Here is my Herbes de Provence recipe for you.. 
3 Tablespoons dried thyme
2 Tablespoons of dried Savory
1 Tablespoon of dried Oregano
3 Tsp. dried Rosemary
2 Tsp. dried Marjoram 
1 Tsp. dried Lavender.. 
Put in your mortar and pestle and smush it up.. 
Keep in a mason jar... 
For the salt I just blitzed up some herbes and garlic scape salt.. 
Lovely.. 
Cut up a banquette or whatever, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle a bit of the goodness on.. 

Don't tell Gustos... grin.. 

Well, time to go home again dear hearts.. 

Home is where the heart is... 

Just wanted to share my beautiful cactus blossoms.. 

These are here at home.. 
Thanks to Laura and Kathleen for giving me a piece of their antique cactus plant.. 
I love it so.. 

And a few more plants.. 

Love being home too.. 

But you know there is another home I am longing to see... 
My brother in law went there this past week.. 
 
A home way beyond the skies.. 
A home not prepared by mortal hands but by God, eternal in the heavens...
He has made a plan whereby we can prepare to go there when our journey is over.. 
We just have to place our lives in His hand  and follow the plan of salvation.. 
He made it so simple..
Then when our life is over we have a hope beyond the grave..

I love the verse in II Corinthians 5:1
For we know that when this earthly tent we live in is taken down (that is when we die and leave this earthly body), we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands.. 
Isn't that wonderful!! 
 
My sister lost her husband who she loved so dearly but she knows she will see him again some day.. 
Life is precious dear ones.. 
Live it to the fullest by living it for God.. 

Sending hugs your way.. 
We will hopefully give you some garden pics or something different next time.. 
God bless..  

 


14 comments:

  1. Your meals always looks scrumptious! And I don't mind those pantry photos. Actually, I was eyeing thises and thats and loving it :-)
    Blessings to you~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your home is so cozy Faye. I would love to have a pantry like yours. I don't think you could ever post too many pictures. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Faye, I'm always excited to see you have added a new post. I love all the photos and hearing about all the interesting things that you are doing. You motivate me to do many things. So sorry your sister lost her husband and they will be together again one day. Thank you for sharing your life & ideas with us, I enjoy each & every one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your lovely pictures of your farm & home,so cozy! All the foods that you made look so yummy as well. Thank you also for your testimony about our gift of salvation from our Lord. God bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely post, and I love reading about your food!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beaitiful post! Where did you find the cat figurine holding your garlic? It is so sweet! Thanks for sharing. It was a joy to read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for posting, Faye. I love the pics at the farm (and at your home, too!) The pantry is so amazing, so comfortable looking. It must be lovely to work in it.
    How do you dry the herbs to use? Are they from your garden? I want to start doing that as well. Also, I really like the way you make your table place settings so pretty. I have to admit that we use the same old same old at every meal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My sincerest condolences on your loss...so sorry to hear that.

    Thank you for the continuing sweetness of your blog, always makes my heart smile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read one of your blogs that I didn't love and that nurtured my soul. Thank you for sharing again Faye.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed my visit at your blog today. Will be back and read more later.
    Blessings and God's comfort to you.
    d

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your posts and blogs, looking forward to them always. The rhubarb pickles intrigue me. Could you share your recipe please?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Faye,
    I always enjoy your posts and always love lots of pictures - especially of your kitchen and pantry :)
    I don't recall seeing those wonderful soup bowls with the spoon rest edging. And I see in the pantry you have a whole set. They are wonderful.
    I'm very sorry about the loss of your bother-in-law.
    Take care,
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  13. always a treat to read and see your creations....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Condolences to Your Sister and All The Family xx

    ReplyDelete