Pages

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Another week of Ramble and Roll Post..

Canning for a new Generation, Irish Pantry..
Good Evening dearies.. 
How are you all doing? 
We are having a lovely week of warmer temps and it seems to be a great time to get some outside work done.. 
Terry has been at the wood lot cutting wood and putting more in the wood room all week.. 
I hope to get the windows cleaned tomorrow as next week is to be cooler.. 

I think this post will be a ramble and roll sort of one.. 
Again... sorry.. 
I received these two cookbooks and they are lovely.. 
From Amazon.. The Irish Pantry
From Chapters... Canning for a New Generation.. 
I am enjoying going through these cookbooks.. 

On with the story.. 
This is a pic of my treat meal.. 

Everyone is trying to watch what they eat and as a senior I am trying to be healthier..smile.. 
But... 
Once a week I have something I love and this one wins out almost every time.. 
Pasta and Shrimp.. 
What would your treat meal be?? 

Rambling along here.. 
Terry peeled 50 pounds of squash and I cooked it up, mashed and bagged it all for the freezer for the Winter.. 
What is your process for freezing squash?  
Some bake it but I boil it... 

We are saving the seeds for next year... 

Drying and putting away.. 

Here is a delicious soup that we had this week.. 
My sister gave me some recipes in a gift bag and this one was mixed in with them... 

Dr. Smiley Soup.. 
1 cup rice, uncooked (not instant)
3/4 gallon of chicken stock
2 tsp. black pepper.. ( I only used 1/2 tsp.)
1 tsp. celery salt 
1/2 tsp. paprika 
salt to taste..Not a lot of salt is needed..
6 eggs
4 stalks green onion.. 
In a large pot boil rice in chicken stock until soft and beginning to break up..  Add seasoning.. In bowl mix eggs well and pour slowly into boiling soup mixture.  
Simmer for 30 minutes .. 
Just before serving add chopped green onions.. 
Serves 4 - 6...
Tip.. 
This egg drop soup recipe was shared by an Asian friend who relies on this dish to relieve cold and flu symptoms .. 
He believes pepper is the key.. 

There you go ... 
I only made half of the recipe for us and found it very good..

Rolling along here.. 
I am preparing to have a table at the Mission Point Craft Sale and have been pottering along doing up preserves to sell.. 


Here are some more Old Fashioned Pumpkin Preserves with cloves... 

Tuesday night we went to Bible Study.. 
Such awesome teaching of the Word of God.. 

It was so nice one day this week that we went Rose Hip gathering..

We always go to the same place... 

Some things I do with rose hips.. 
1..Make a lovely face oil.. 
YouTube  recipe here..
2..Rose Hip Syrup and Jelly.. 
3..Dry for crafts and potpourris.. 
4..Freeze some for Rose Hip Tea.. 
Don't freeze or store them in a metal container.. 

Rose Hips are very good for you... 

As we were near the farm we decided to go and fill our water jugs with the Spring water we love.. 
We arrived there to find we had some sweet company waiting.. 

Our youngest son, Dustin.. 

He and his Dad were happy to see the work that has been done in the fields.. 

Trees cut down and all ploughed up .. 
More pasture land for the cattle.. 
Dustin loves the old farm almost as much as his Dad.. grin.. 
We had a nice visit and then we all headed home for supper.. 

Then last night we made Bone Broth... 

Our oldest son gave us a bunch of bones.. 
They simmered until 2:30 this morning and then Terry turned it off.. The dear man.. 
Today, I just skimmed off the fat and put it through a sieve and ended up with 8 delicious quarts of organic broth ... 
Thanks, Trev.. 

I will use it to make a soup like this one we had for lunch yesterday but I used Chicken broth and wild rice ...
And Bok Choy... 

I think I have rambled and rolled along enough.. 
One final preserve that is finished.. 
I sold and ate all of the ones I made earlier in the Fall so made another batch of Hot Mixed Veggie Pickle yesterday.. 
Love these ... 

I hope you girls who live nearby can attend the Craft Show in St. John at Mission Point Church on Mark Drive on Nov. 28.. 
I will be having a Mason Jar Table.. 
Everything in Mason Jars from preserves, potpourries, aprons, soup herbs, salves, dips and such... 

There will be lots of crafts there and all, too.. 
I will post some pics on the Face Book page later... 

Thank you, dear hearts for your sweet visits.. 
I love your comments and will try to answer any questions and please know that I appreciate each and everyone of you.. 

God bless you and your families.. 
Hugs.. 

25 comments:

  1. Oh your kitchen must always smell soo wonderful . Lovely foods you prepare and wonderful posts and photos of it all to ! Wish I was closer to go to your craft show . Thanks for sharing have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly Faye, You are beyond inspiring!! Love the colour in your food photos..Yum, yum.
    Oh and I can't wait to see your kitchen cupboards....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been very busy! I love your photos... the food photos make me hungry!! Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the look of your preserves, Faye. I am sure everything on your table at the craft sale will sell like hot cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I do so wish I lived near enough to attend your sale. Your preserves and such are a real delight and look amazing, I am sure you will do well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to fly over to come to your sale. Your recipes are inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely photos of home life. I am still drooling at your vast amounts of rose hips for the picking!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you also for linking up this lovely to the Art of Home-Making Mondays! :)

      Delete
  8. You've been busy Faye. Hasn't the weather been great this month? Not like last November with all the cold an snow we had! Those pickled veggies look so pretty. Have a lovely weekend. Hugs. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah Dear could I have your recipe for HOT MIX Please? And as always love your picture's and post.
    Take care God Bless ooxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you have been quite busy! All your preserves look amazing! Glad that you are having some nice November weather... ours here is cold, chilly, and with a few snows that haven't lasted... winter is slowly approaching, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Many, many smiles here...quite chilly here (32*) with rain/sleet and snow at times here in western NY. Thank you for the smiles, Faye...Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, I love it the way you ramble and roll, it makes me feel happy and close to home. As we all know Home is where the HEART is...
    Your Husband is a good man and helps with what needs doing. Loved the soups and those Rose Hips...
    your a blessing, Hugs, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Faye, you always amaze me with your busyness. I love the idea of an everything in a mason jar craft fair! :-) Love the post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I use the microwave to do my squash ...and your mixed pickle looks SO good, Faye! I enjoyed your post, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I use the microwave to do my squash ...and your mixed pickle looks SO good, Faye! I enjoyed your post, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  16. All that you have been making sounds delicious, I am especially intrigued by the pumpkin preserves, the jars alone look beautiful! Such a gorgeous colour. As for storing squash, well, we don't grow them so don't need to store them, but whenever we eat squash I always roast it, we don't like it any other way! Funny how we are all different isn't it. hope that the sale was good! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. You haaaave to share the recipe for the hot mixed vegetables!

    I love reading your posts. It feels like sitting and chatting with a friend over tea. The world slows, rights itself, and I can go on, feeling renewed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooh...ahhh...that canning book really caught my eye...I'd love to take a look through sometime. I have a "thing" for jars ;) I've been on a bit of a soup kick lately-3 kinds in a row...yummy :)
    -L-

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful post. You've been so busy and productive.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your posts are such fun to read - so domestic! I look forward to every post. Please, unless you're keeping the Hot Mixed Veggie Pickle recipe for selling and prefer not sharing, could you post the Hot Mixed Veggie Pickle recipe? I haven't found this recipe thru your other posts. These veggie's look so clean and crisp (no mustard) and I'd love to pickle this for gifts this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello.. Just wanted to let you know that I gave the recipe on a post this past month. January 2016... Please let me know if you find it.. Just go to the tope and click on the word Home and go down the page until you find it ..
      Here is the link..
      http://theblessedhearth.blogspot.ca/2016/01/the-difference-day-makes.html

      Delete
    2. Sorry I missed that, you are so kind. Thank you so much. Appreciate the reply.

      Delete
  21. Hi Faye, we are hosting an HERBAl link up this month for ROSE HIPS and I remembered you had some posts on them. Would you be willing to share with us?

    http://strangersandpilgrimsonearth.blogspot.com/2016/02/about-rose-hips-information-recipes.html

    Love,
    JES :)

    ReplyDelete