Pages

Saturday, September 23, 2017

Farm Journal 8


Hello there everyone.. 
Welcome to the Blessed Hearth today.. 
I am home and so can get here on the internet and touch base with you all once again.. 
Sorry it has been awhile but as you can see by the pics that Fall has arrived here in Eastern Canada.. 
Sept. 21.. 

Terry's sunflowers are blooming in the garden! 

And when we go for our little drives we can see the changes in the colours on the roadsides.. 
I have refused to even admit to myself that Summer is over until it was over.. grin.. 
No early Fall decor for me as I just wanted to bask in the Summer sunshine and all of it's doings.. 

Now we need a comforter at nights and a couple of mornings Terry has put a fire on in the stove in the back porch.. 
I tell him to just make a small fire as it is not that cold and then I have to open the front and back doors and try to get a breeze going through along with the ceiling fans..
I know the poor guy.. 
I am hard to please sometimes.. 

Anyway.. 
The days of sitting here in this room are almost over.. 
Probably only a couple of weeks left I am thinking..
And then we will be here at home again.. 
Home Sweet Home.. 
Summer is good for a season but when the frost is on the fields and the sunflowers are blooming my heart turns towards this place.. 
smile.. 
Terry and the boys have once again gone to the last race of the season so we are staying here for the night.. 
Looking forward to my waterbed.. smile.. 

Anyway.. 
Back to the story line here.. 
Did up 18 bottles of blueberry jams this week... 
Our blueberries are long gone and were not that great as we did not have a lot of rain this summer.. 
He found a box on half price and a little squashed at the store but they were great for jam.. 

Our garden has produced very well.. 
He has been digging potatoes and they are lovely.. 
Taste so fresh and kind of waxy if you know what I mean.. 

Been putting away herbs galore.. 

A little line of them here where our new chimney will be going when there is time to put it in.. 

This was a pic I took early this morning out of the Living room window.. 
We had a frost the night before last and I lost some of my basil but that was all.. 

Making some sauerkraut with dill seeds...

Washing bottles and sterilising them for more pickles.. 

The gardener just brought in this box of cukes this morning.. 
They will be mustard pickles hopefully next week.. 

I have done a few things not vegetable related this week.. grin.. 
A sweet lady came into the yard sale we had at the cottage and wanted to know if she could order 6 air fresheners..
So I did get them done so we can deliver them next time we go to St. Martins.. 
Vanilla and Clove... 
Here is the recipe.. 

My favourite room freshener recipe:

Fill a spray bottle with 1 1/2 cups of distilled water and 1/2 cup of white vinegar and as much essential oils as you like..
This one is lavender.  Sometimes, I add rosemary oil to the lavender..

Or you can use just rosemary or sweet orange ...
Clove and Vanilla or Patchouli and Grapefruit are lovely.. 

Add the oils until it smells the way you want it to...
Make sure to shake it well before you spray..


He also brought in a 25 pound box of green tomatoes..  
I haven't done a bit of Chow Chow yet so they need to be done...

Here is a recipe I want to try out on our grandsons.. 
They love grilled cheese..  

I came across this pic when I was waiting for the blog pics to upload.. 
It is of my maternal grandfather.. 


I blame him for my love of cooking.. 
Notice his apron.. 
He was a cook in the lumber camps here in New Brunswick.. 
I never got to meet him though as he passed away when my Mom
was only five years old and the youngest of 12.

He looks so kind I think.. 
I wish I had some of his recipes.. smile.. 

Well, dear hearts I will say good evening once again.. 
Thank you so much for dropping by.. 
Someone told me this week that they went to bed on Monday night and woke up Friday morning.. That is what it feels like to me lately, eh? smile.. 

Tomorrow is the Lord's Day and we are having a picnic after church so I need to go and get a bit of cooking finished.. 

Looking so forward to hearing from you all.. 
My dear sister reads your comments to me over the phone as I will only be able to check tomorrow morning .. 
I really do appreciate hearing from you here and on the Facebook page.. 

God bless... xo



13 comments:

  1. Enjoy your last few weeks at the farm. You are a very busy lady in the fall! Your grandfather does have a kind face. My maternal grandmother was a cook in a boarding house and I wish we had some of her recipes. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially love Gram Weir's picture on the wall... and I think I look like Grampie Weston :) I marvel where you get all your energy... I get tired just reading all your accomplishments... whew :) Does anyone take time for the Hammock ? You stay so busy :) I hope to go straight to the brook if I ever get back up there :) Love and Hugs... Your # 1 sister :) LOL....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the reminder to get my herbs out of the garden and drying before it's too late to do that! Growing up I remember having fried green tomatoes. Seeing your box of green tomatoes also reminded me I want to try my hand at them. So many reminders just from reading your post! lol Have a wonderful week, Faye!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Dear Faye!
    Such a wonderful post!
    I love all the photos!
    You both are so busy, always!
    I would love to know if you know any good medicinal herbs for asthma?
    The phot, he does have a kind face, what a treasure those recipes would have been!
    I think, a few years ago you mentioned your Terry going to the races at Bristol Int. Speedway in Bristol Tn. . That is just a hop, skip, and jump from here. I remember thinking boys howdy! All the way from Canada to here!
    I love his sunflowers!
    I believe you are a pickle lady, I'm not sure how many types or jars you make each year!
    Thanks so much for sharing.
    I go back and read again your sweet posts.
    Sometimes. long after they've been written!
    Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the recipe for the air freshener, I will be giving it a try. You are one busy lady storing up everything for the long Winter months.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Faye it sounds like you will be heading home soon. You have such a productive garden. It is blueberry season here in Australia but it has been very dry so ours don't look too wonderful. Your jam would have been fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Faye, I enjoy reading your blogs, as always. Autumn is such a beautiful time of year here in NB....at least the evening temperatures help to cool down your house after all of the delicious baking & pickling that you do. I love country-living !!! Thank you for all that you share in your blog....looking forward to your next postings and photos. Take care....enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm always so happy to see your post appear in my reading list! I'd love to know what chow-chow is, I have read of it in Amish books but have never found a recipe.
    You have had such a busy and productive season in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a wonderful post. I loved seeing the bounty of your garden. I am going to try that air freshener from essential oils. I do love using essential oils. Happy fall to you! Stay warm and cozy and the seasons change!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you have already had a frost! No frost here. Actually we have been quite warm. I'm glad but I do so enjoy fall. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Friend,
    I so enjoy your journals from the farm.
    Thank you,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Faye, I haven't stopped by to comment for awhile but wanted to say Hi and let you know that I've enjoyed your Farm Journals. I always look forward to what you share.

    ReplyDelete