Pages

Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Another Farm Post..







Hello... 
So happy to have you drop by the Blessed Hearth tonight.. 
Just another little update on our farm days.. 
How are you all doing? 
I sure hope you are warmer then we are here in the Maritimes of Canada... 
It is cold! 
And frankly, I am a bit tired of it all.. 
Trying so hard not to complain but all winter we so graciously(wink wink) wait for the warm sunny days of Spring but alas they only arrive here now and then just to keep our spirits in an attitude of hope.. grin.. 
Mother Nature is not always kind I am thinking.. 
But.. 
Looking out the window this evening there is sun still shining which showed herself late this afternoon and the weatherman says it will be sunny tomorrow so with hope that springs eternal we are looking forward to a week of much warmer temps.. 

Yes, dear hearts I am Canadian so the weather is the main topic of conversation in these parts.. smile.. 
Anyway... 
On with the show.. 

We have been striving to get to the farm a couple of days each week at least.. 
Terry does better then I do but actually.. If it is very chilly and damp I stay home.. Besides, when he is painting and such I am in the way and there is still lots to do here at home... 
As you can see it is greening up a lot each week.. 
This was taken on Sunday where we went to have lunch and put a fire on for awhile... 
We went to church and Charlie came along with us( he stays in the car) grin....  as we knew we were visiting the farm afterwards and it is his favourite place in the world ... smile.. 
We had to stop by the store for a few minutes and there was another dog in a truck beside us.. 
I guess they were looking each other over.. 

On the way there I mentioned to Terry we should go check a little secret spot we have for picking Daffodils ... 
They grow in a ditch where some home place must have been at one time .. Each Spring they faithfully flourish in their little spot.. 
So we drove by and there they were calling to me.. grin.. 
Terry (the dear man) gets out a picks me a few... 

We also did a little stop at an old cemetery to see if the purple violets had arrived to stay a spell with Mr. Mills and his two Missus... smile.. 
One of his wives must have loved the wild purple violet because their site is the only one that has so many... 
Yes, I am an old romantic... 
There were a few blooming but not very many yet so we did not gather any... 
I love making purple violet salve for burns... 
Later.. smile.. 

When we got to the farm Terry made a fire and I started dinner... 
Of course the Daffodils found a place of honour on the old kitchen table.. 
Terry was craving a pork chop so it was just another simple farm dinner ... 
Pork Chops, fiddleheads (thanks to our sweet son), turnip and carrot mash and he had potatoes.. 
I always have a cucumber salad lately.. 
It is my new favourite for awhile, I guess.. 

The kitchen was still quite a mess so we had to push everything over on the table to set it.. 
But really a lot has been finished.. 
The cupboard there is now all painted along with the walls and woodwork and doors... Yeah!  
That is primer on there but now it is covered a lovely Babbling Brook shade.. 
Appropriate for the brook running behind the old farm, eh!
So, Lord willing and if the sun shines we will be going up there tomorrow as Terry just finished it on Monday and I can get things together again... 

I do have the pantry almost to rights.. 
Dishes have been washed, a new cupboard installed and the hutch all cleaned out.. 
Hopefully, tomorrow he will begin to install an old old kitchen sink.. 
He has to hang my potholder and a few other little chores and we will feel like we are accomplishing something..

But it is not all work up there.. 
This happened one day..  

Not the day it says but a week later our grandson and our son came for the day.. 
We enjoyed lunch... 

Macaroni and Tuna Salad (their favourite) and Fried Potatoes... 
Jordan cooked the hamburgers on the wood stove...
I had also made these hamburgers but we didn't eat them till later.. 

Greek Burgers in Pita Bread with lettuce and Greek Yogurt Sauce.. 
I loved them but you know who didn't... 
Just give him a plain hamburger with cheese any day.. 
Personally, I seldom eat a hamburger but put some cilantro and cumin to one in a pita bread and I think it is delicious!  
Just no accounting for taste as my mother used to say.. smile.. 
We certainly enjoyed their visit...

Jordan visited with us while his Dad went fishing for awhile .. 
He came back with a bunch of pine cones... 
Our sons always think of their mother when they are out in the woods.. 
Always have.. 
I so enjoy a handful of pine cones or an old nest that has fallen or a bouquet of flowers.. 
Don't you?  

Later I tied them on a string and hung them under Tasha Tudor's pic on the hutch door... 
Terry has made two more raised beds... 

I think they are finished now.. 
Will see tomorrow.. 
It is just too cold to do much planting yet but my Lovage and such are up...
Can't wait to have a lovely glass of tomato juice and a lovage straw.. 
Something I look forward to each Spring... 


These are some  new fabrics I bought for the kitchen.. 

Gives you an idea of the colour change.. 
I hope to make a runner, buntings and perhaps a valance.. 
That will be next plus I have to use the electric scrubber for the floor and a coat of wax... 
All in good time, though.. 

This is a Partridge Stew that we had one day.. 
Love the flavour, do you?
Thanks once again to our dear boy.. 

On Monday I canned 22 jars of fiddle heads.. 


We like them canned the best as they don't take up freezer space and are not mushy... 
Do Fiddleheads grow in your area?  

I was reading an old book the other day and the guy was writing that his mother used to can Dandelion Greens.. 
I had not heard of that before.. 
I know people eat them that way but I didn't know they used to can them.. 
I hope to make jelly though and perhaps dry some root for my daily quart next winter... 
I read that you just dry the roots and grind them up and make a tea.. 
Very good for you.. 
The whole Dandelion is so healthy... 

Well dear hearts this all for tonight.. 
I titled this a little farm post.. 
Perhaps I better change it.. grin.. 

Here is a book I just finished... 

It was excellent as was the Apothecary's Daughter and a couple of others of hers that I have read lately... 
Oh.. 
I had to add this sweet pic of our daughter in Paris.. 

I told her it was my favourite.. 
Just so thankful she is now home on Canadian sail ... 
Mothers!! 

Well, lovies have a grand week and will chat again soon.. 
Thanks so much for visiting and your lovely notes and welcome to the new followers.. 

May God richly bless you and your dear families this week... 
I will be praying for you... 

10 comments:

  1. Oh my, what a lovely post! I love your blue and white table set, so pretty! You are really making great strides in the kitchen I love the color and fabrics that you have chosen. I love tuna in my macaroni salad too, but hubby does not so I don't often have it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing about your time at the farm. I always love these posts. I love the picture of the farm. The clouds are so beautiful. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are truly living the dream I think. I would love to live on a farm. Everything you write about makes me feel so cosy and warm. Just lovely. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Faye,

    I agree with Marie Rayner, your posts inspire me. I agree every meal and picture of your home(s) are cozy and inviting.

    God bless you and yours
    Trish Clark

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an uplifting post, it is a joy to visit your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely post. Thank you for sharing.

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Faye, I love those fabrics you have chosen. Can't wait to see them made up. I can well imagine that you are looking forward to the warmer weather after your cold winters. We are heading into winter here but, of course, it doesn't get as cold as in Canada and it doesn't snow. Thanks for the lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wishing lots of sunshine for you!
    It's been unseasonably gloomy here as well, and I long for the warm sun on my face!

    Lovely post, per usual...filled with happy things and inspiration.
    Love the new colors for the kitchen and the fabrics are a lovely combination.

    Nope.. no fiddleheads growing here, though we do have dandelion of course. I never knew of anyone that bottled dandelions either.
    My dad used to drink dandelion tea however, and it sure helped him feel well.

    Have a lovely weekend.
    ~K.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Catching up here . What a lovely post and photos . We have fiddle heads but we dont eat them I cant seem to acquire a taste for them so we let them grow into the forest ferns that the fiddle heads turn into around the property . It hasn't been that warm here either lost of chilly damp down to the bone days and I cant really take the damp chilly weather I like warm sunny days and hope we get more of them in June . Looks and sounds like you both have been busy with the reno and you with all your wonderful canning and baking and cooking . Hope it warms up there soon to and you have lots of sunshine as well. Thanks for sharing , Have a good week !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Faye,

    I always love calling in to your home for a catch up.

    I love the photo of your farm table, blue is my favourite colour.

    I hope the weather has warmed up for you.

    xTania

    ReplyDelete