Pages

Sunday, May 5, 2019

Early Farm Days...







Well, hello there dear hearts... 
How are you all on this beautiful Spring evening?  
It is so lovely outside here tonight.. 
So happy Spring has actually arrived here in Maritime Canada.. 
I am so pleased to have you drop by the Blessed Hearth today.. 

This post is farm oriented.. 
I am so excited to say that I am really enjoying getting ready to move out there for the summer.. 
As you could probably tell from my posts I have been wondering if I would want to go for the summer or stay here as we did last year.  
There is just so much work to do there with getting all of our cottage stuff relocated out of the old farm house and such.. 
But.....
Charlie and I have decided we want to go and do what needs done.. grin.. 
No... actually.... 
Terry and I have come up with some plans that are feasible for us so we can enjoy the place once again.. 
It may take all summer to accomplish but steady on as we go... 

This past week we were there a few days because the sun shone!  
Praise the Lord!

Usually the first thing I do when we get there is to prepare something to cook on the wood stove,.. 
It is just a wood stove and not a kitchen one but it cooks a soup or stew really well... 


This one is a tomato base with hamburger, cabbage, onion, celery and carrots... 
Almost a Hamburger soup, I guess.. 
Then I added a bit of rice... 
Lots of parsley and garlic, of course.. 

Anyway.. 
While that is cooking away out in the porch I started washing out kitchen drawers and such.. 

With an old place like this you never know if a mouse might have been about ... 
All the dishes get washed.. 
Some girls will pack up everything in totes but I would just rather spend the day washing up... smile.. 

Love setting the old farmhouse table once again.. 
Some pretty lavender coloured bowls and napkins from the thrift shops... 


The soup was really tasty and even though the sun was shining the house is still taking awhile to warm up.. 
Terry has the stove and heaters and dehumidifier all going full steam.. 
My old Arthur can take a beating if I get too damp.. 
Isn't old age wonderful?  grin.. 

Another reason I am excited to be at the farm is my sweet husband has decided I can use this old stove that I used to have in my shop in St. Martins.. 
Isn't it gorgeous?  
I have wanted to use it for years but he kept saying no that it was practical... (Imagine!)
Well... 
He finally gave in and here it is.. 
And ... 
I have my kitchen cupboard from our old house in St. Martins.. 
You can see a bit of it there.. 
And our new fridge from there, too.. 
And in the pantry through that door there is another old cupboard we brought from the shop.. 
It is perfect for the pantry.. 
Please excuse everything in the background.. 
It will take me a bit to get it all together.. 
Do any of you know what the wide porcelain part of the stove was used for?  
I tried to google it but could not find out.. 
The stove still has the papers it came with and is a 1947 model.. 
Terry put the knob that is missing up so we would not lose it and now can't remember where he put it.. 
He just saw it the other day though... grin.. 
Will be happy to get it all cleaned and going.. 

Meanwhile there are lots of dishes to wash..  


No dishwasher here.. smile.. 

I took my daily quart with me and drank it through the day.. 
It does feel like it might be the Spring tonic the ladies in the 1800s thought it was.. smile.. 
It is Nettles.. 
I hope I can find some growing somewhere this year so I can dry them myself and not have to buy them.. 

While we have been visiting the farm our dear daughter and her friend have been visiting Paris... 
Needless to say they are having a wonderful trip.. 
Shonda is the one with the green scarf.. 
Her and Wanda grew up together and now they attend the same church and their kids have grown up together.. 
So love the family of God.. 

Speaking of which .. 
We had a great service this morning.. 
Love feeling the Presence of our Lord .. 
The pastor taught on reaching our world with the love of Christ.. 
The fields are ripe with harvest.. 

After church we decided to go and have lunch at the farm.. 
I picked out paint colours to paint the kitchen and some old cupboards.. 
Can't wait ... 
This week, hopefully... 
He is patiently waiting... grin.. 


Not very impressive, I am afraid.. 
We don't have a lot of groceries up there yet but some hamburger (again) in the freezer made an oldie we call Hamburger Gravy.. 
It is his favourite... 
Then some french beans I canned last fall and my favourite cucumber salad... 
Do you like my salt and pepper shakers? 
A sweet gift from my sister.. 

Just slice up cucumbers in a bowl and sprinkle some salt and chili flakes.. Then drizzle fresh lemon juice over top.. 
Let it sit for a bit and it is ever so good! 
I make it a lot for a snack, too.. 

Well I guess this about wraps it up again for now.. 
I started out with a much larger post.  
Downloaded all the pics of here and the farm and messed it up and had to start all over again.. 
Brother!  
This time I did half of it but the good thing is that next time won't be so hard.. eh! 
I love this verse.. 

Guess it is my prayer for the next while.. 
I will try to take pics and show you our accomplishments.. 
I was telling Terry we have to get this done before he gets full time on the gardens because that will be the end of inside work.. 
Lots to do but enjoyable for me when it is this kind of stuff.. 
Was so happy to hear from my friend Becky in Arkansas this week.. 
She was anxious to see the stove.. 

Thanks so much for dropping by and love your notes.. 
I answer the Face Book comments most of the time but find the ones on the blog don't get responded to ... 

Hint hint.. 
Please feel free to like the Face Book page or to follow with Google above on the sidebar or share the post.. thank you.. 
Welcome to all the new followers of the blog.. 
So happy to have you.. 

Now have a blessed week and choose joy.. 
Hugs from me to you... 

9 comments:

  1. Good evening Faye....I always look forward to your posts. Glad you will be at the farm this summer, looking forward to those posts...always love those ones. I enjoy all of your posts and pictures though. Love that stove! I'm afraid I can't answer your question about it. Is it wood burning? Have a good week...it's great to see the summer finally arriving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the empty space provides 'counter' space (when there isn't much) but
    also to keep dishes warm when the stove underneath is going....
    unless of course underneath is storage..?? Ideal for small kitchen without
    a lot of counter/storage space!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I've missed your post so much...you have maked my day.I needed the up lift. May God bless you and your family always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Faye. I enjoy your posts. I like your stove. I grew up with a wood stove but not quite like yours. Yours look in good shape. You soup looks delicious. I plan on going to the Flea Market in Sussex this year. I'm returning to Gaspe next week after being away all Winter. Like you, I'm very busy in the Summer with gardening and I want to paint some bedrooms. I also have a lot of visitors. Take care, Thelma

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely to see your preparations for the Summer at the Farm. I would use the side of the stove for placing dishes or even as a small work surface. Looking forward to hearing more about your Stay.
    I don't do Facebook so my comments will sit here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love to see your posts, and esp. your posts about the old farmhouse and goings on there.
    My best guess about the range is added counter space and a spot to cool freshly made bread :)

    Looking forward to seeing the kitchen at the old farmhouse refreshed with a new coat of paint!

    I too would want to wash up all the things in the farmhouse after a long winter.

    Thanks for your positivity and the scripture; I needed that!
    We are proceeding with the sale of our house, sorting through 32 yrs. worth of stuff and deciding what to pack and take and what to donate or sale.. it is a lot of work, however we put a smile on and take it one project at a time :)

    Smiles :)
    ~K.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fairly new to your blog and found it so positive and interesting.
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been away from here for a while but I just got all caught up with your blog. I'm looking forward to you being at the farm again and I can't wait to see the changes you are hoping to make!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy your blog. We are visiting Canada next month: Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. I'm so looking forward to that...
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete