Pages

Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Farm Post number 5/2021

Hello everyone... 
Here I am finally... 
It has been over a month and I am sorry for that.. 
I guess life happens to us and sometimes we are waylaid!
I am so happy you dropped by though.. 
Hope all is well with you in whatever part of the world you are in.. 

As you know it is summer here in Canada and we  have been blessed with a pretty good one! 
Lots of rain which I think is much better then last year when it was so dry... 
Well, we could chat about the weather all day but I had best get on with this post.. 


This is a farm post perse so we will go to that.. 
My Lavender came back for the fourth year and I was so happy that my Chamomile came back for the second year and has spread here and there through out the bed.. 

This was my first picking!  
It is tied up in bunches and hanging from the old beams in the porch.. 
Hopefully, I will get a few things made with it this year.. 
I am really wanting to make some soaps... 
Time will tell.. 
The thing about being our age is that the wonderful hopes and dreams you have for projects and such just do not always materialize as you hoped they would.. 
smile.. 
Nevertheless, we do what we do.. 

The cows are doing wonderful as you can see... 

We were pretty happy being able to pick some lettuce and such.. 
Making salads with buttermilk dressing for lunch.. 

    When we arrived on this particular day I checked the freezer and found a lovely ham bone and ham that needed used up.. 

    It tasted rather good with the salad... 

    This post is actually for the month of July.. 
    I took lots of pics but just couldn't seem to get a post put up.. 
    So these pics are kind of a hodge podge of our days up there..

    Usually on the way to the farm I am scouting the ditches and such for a fresh bouquet or two for the farm table.. 
    Terry told the grandsons one day at a gathering that the worst thing about Grandma getting here cataracts removed is that she could spy way too many flowers in the ditches now!  😏 

    One of the loveliest things of summer are the fresh flowers.. 
    I think on this day it was raining or something so I was happy to find them growing against the house.. 

    I was not sure if I had posted this pic here.. 
    I do try to change the curtains and such each summer but it did not get done thus far..  

    Actually, I think I did post it perhaps because I did put that little piece of border in.. And there are my pickles.. grin.. 

    Oh well.. 
    Terry was weeding the garden and picked a pail of weeds for dinner.. 


    Lamb's Quarters..  

    And I made a batch of new rolls from a recipe that my sweet sister
    had given me..  

    Here is the recipe.. 
    Just a screen shot from my phone but you can google it.. 


    They are delicious and so easy to make.. 
    You do not taste the banana very much but I think it keeps them nice and soft longer then regular ones... 

    Another farm meal.. 



    For some reason when we are at the farm we eat the comfort foods that Terry loves.. 
    I love them too but you know me and my love of creating something a bit different.. 
    I am sure I have told you about Dustin and Terry saying ... 
    Oh, she ruined the chicken again!!  
    A standing joke with them two.. 
    I told them they just didn't appreciate the finer things of life.. 😀

    This is Terry's favourite meal of all time, I think.. 
    Hamburger Gravy and Mashed.. 
    Our grandsons love this too.. 
    We don't have it only about once a month but it is good when we do.. 

    Actually, Shonda is the only one with similar tastes in food as her mother.. The boys are like their Dad and like ordinary but delicious food... 

    Here is the recipes I promised you from Shonda's visit.. 

    Sorry about the messy page.. I used it often, I guess.  
    Please note the added and very important ingredient handwritten of 4 cups of spinach.. Baby spinach is nicer.. 
    This is from a cookbook I put together quite a few years ago to raise money for missions..

    And here is the link for the tenderloin from Kraft.. 


    Hope you enjoy... 

    We took a few drives as always.. 


    These were a bunch of moss roses growing up by the windmills.. 
    Aren't they simply glorious.. 
    I dried a lot of blossoms.. 

    And this is my sweet husband doing my bidding.. grin.. 

    This was a flower gathering day.. 
    He has always been so dear about picking them for me.. 
    He didn't think I should be on the rough ground with my foot condition and now he says he does a better job.. 
    Which he does.. 😙
    Here they are all tied up and drying.. 
    Hope to make a potpourri and really they just pretty up a rather shabby space.. 


    A few flowers on the deck but we haven't been there enough this past while to do much.. 
    Feel kind of bad about that but you can only do what you can do, right!!

    I have a story to tell you about this pic.. 


    I probably should have taken one of the apple tree but nevertheless I will share it with you.. 
    He (the dear man) just finished doing some pruning and such.. 
    There are two wild apple trees out back quite close together and I had found at the end of someone's driveway and nice old wicker seat for two.. 
    It was put between the trees and would have been sweet if he had got around to tying it down with a couple of sticks stuck in the ground and tied to the bench.. 
    Well, he didn't get to it and the winds up there can be fierce and almost every time we got there the bench was upside down.. 
    He would get to it in time, you know!  Yup! 
    Well, I happened to look out the back door after we had been there awhile and thought I was seeing things.. 
    In that short time he had pruned those precious old trees.. 
    They were just wild ones that had come up there and really of no value except that they were so lovely to look at.. 
    One tree was not so bad but the other one!!!!
    It looks exactly like a "V"! 
    I kid you not!! 
    The beautiful little shapes that they were had disappeared and all that was left on one was this V shape.. 
    I went to the door and screeched (yes, I did) at him what was he doing?? 
    Just pruning!! 
    I yelled that he might as well cut it down.. 😒 

    Before you judge me too harshly let me tell you that this was not our first rodeo with this type of thing ..but I digress... 
    He came in finally and I told him it looked just like a V!! 
    I know he says... I did it for you because you are always making the peace sign!! 

    Soooo... what is a girl supposed to do.. 
    It wasn't the first time he has cut something down he wasn't supposed to .. Like the roses but never mind.. 
    It won't be the last time! 
    It is not to my credit that we have laughed about it a dozen times!! 

    As I said we have had a lot of rain and not been out to the farm enough and the gardens are not his usual pride and joy.. 

    But we will get what we get and really I did way too much last year and have lots left over... 
    I do want to can some beans and peas and a few pickles, though.. 
    How are your gardens doing?  
    You girls down south have been canning for a month or more now..
     
    I did do up a bunch of strawberry jam as ours were pretty well depleted.. 
    e

    As always here are some things I cooked or baked.. 


    Banana Blondies from @thekitchette on Instagram.. 
    I boiled the icing too long but they were so moist and delicious! 
    A Sunday afternoon treat one Sunday.. 
    Greek salad which I didn't make but was served at The Diplomat in Fredericton on anther day trip we took.. 

    Then my all time loved Sampfire Greens.. 

    We only had this one batch of them as we missed them, I think.. 
    I stopped by the Green Pig again this morning but they didn't have any.. At least we had a taste.. 

    Soooo.. 
    this is the reason I have not been able to get on here to chat with you.. 

    He was sick for several weeks without actually telling me that he had a problem.. 
    I knew he wasn't feeling well as he was not himself . 
    Then when he got so sick I had to take him to Emergency the infection he was suffering silently with went to his blood stream.. 
    He was doing much better but he is not back to normal.. 
    We would be thankful for your prayers.. 
    He will probably not appreciate me on here saying anything but you girls have been with me a long time.. 
    So, of course I am sharing this with you.. 
    We go to the doctor again tomorrow but we know the Great Physician!  So we are trusting in Him.. 
    He has met our needs many times as you know... 

    You know it is amazing how we prove that God 's promises are true.. 
    He said he would be us in the storm.. And he is.. 
    He said to lean on Him and we do and he supports us.
    He said he would give us peace and he always keeps his word..
    He said that joy cometh in the morning and it does...
    He said he would never leave us or forsake us and we are counting on that... 
     
    So thankful for our faithful and true God!! 
    Our Healer and Deliverer!
    Right?? 

    So dear girls.. Thanks so much for reading this or skipping the words and looking at the pics.. 
    Just whatever!
    Thank you for your prayers that I know you will give.. 

    We are mostly here at home and our summer plans are not what we hoped but all is well..
    We get there some anyway.. 

    There is already a change in the air.. 
    Fall is coming too soon for me but whatever.. 
    I hope I get a note from you.. 
    Here, Facebook or Instagram is lovely.. 
    Take care of yourselves.. 
    God bless you.. 
    Hugs... 
    from Faye... 
     


    13 comments:

    1. Prayers for you and your husband from Boulder City, NV! I can so relate to husbands who cut things down! 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

      ReplyDelete
    2. Praying for your husband and his caregiver!

      I’ll never understand why men avoid going to the doctor until it is an absolute emergency or going to the dentist!!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Praying for your husband and you!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Praying for y'all in Oregon . . . surely do enjoy your posts! Blessings.

      ReplyDelete
    5. You take care of that sweet husband of yours and of course we know God is the ultimate healer and will see him through. Prayers for sure and God bless you both.

      ReplyDelete
    6. Love your photos, Faye. Hoping that Terry is back to 100% soon. Sending prayers. xo. Barbara F.

      ReplyDelete
    7. Best wishes to your husband or a speedy return to health. Men are impossible! I'll keep you in my prayers.

      ReplyDelete
    8. Praying for your husband, for complete healing, and a total refreshing. Psalm 121. Thank you for another beautiful blog xx

      ReplyDelete
    9. I guess you did put up some jam! I did some pickles, plan to do some veg soup, beans, apple pie filling. Sorry to hear about your hubby not feeling well,I'm sure he will be back to health soon with all the prayers and your trust in the Lord. As always a wonderful post Faye my friend, Love ya Janis from Vancouver,wa.

      ReplyDelete
    10. Beautiful photos of home life Faye! And praying your husband recovers swiftly! ♥️

      ReplyDelete
    11. I pray he has a full recovery to his former health and is such a handsome man to have a such a lovely wife Love the photos of all that is going on in your world and the wonderful food you make. Take care and Be SAFE from Iowa

      ReplyDelete
    12. Oh, I enjoyed this post so very much! I love that you have a farm to go to in the summer...and am amazed at how much you accomplish there. I am sorry for your husband's illness and pray he will soon be well and back to his healthy self. I love all of your stories and descriptions of life there...and the flowers! Oh so lovely. And yes, my hubby has cut down many a thing I was trying to grow...now I put little flags beside things that I am trying to save and hope he will pay attention when he mows. Thank you for sharing your summer with us. I thoroughly enjoyed this.

      ReplyDelete
    13. I am reading this post about a week after you posted it, and I hope by now that the Mister is feeling healthy and well. May I please ask if you could share the banana blondie recipe in a future post? I'm not on Instagram but I would love to try that. I always seem to have lots of ripe bananas to use up.

      Also Faye, do you have any tips for cooking up lambs quarters? I certainly have an excess of this weed in my garden and it would be great to be able to use it in a meal.

      ReplyDelete