Pages

Saturday, August 17, 2024

A Few of our Summer Joys...

Hello there dear hearts... 
How art thou?
Can you believe it is almost the end of August already? 

What a beautiful summer we have had here in Atlantic Canada... 
Several days of very hot weather then several days of cooler ones.. 
It has been the type of summer that I can live with if you know what I mean... 
I dislike intense heat but if we have a lovely rain storm to cool us off and cool nights for sleeping then I am doing well.. 

I feel sorry for folks who are having horrendous floods and wild fires and such.... 
Our dear youngest son lives out west where there are hail storms and wild fires... Oh my!
We just pray for God's protection upon them and live in trust... 


These are some flowers growing off of our patio.. 
I brought them from St. Martins many years ago when we had our cottage there.. They are called Poor Man's Orchid and their blossoms change to pods that jump when you squeeze them... 
Our grandsons used to love doing that and I love it myself.. 
The only thing is that when I see these blooming I realize that summer is drawing to a close... 

I am not one to hurry the seasons as I grow older... 
I just like to meander down the path and enjoy the sights... 😊 
And Summer has some of the best...
 
Terry and I have really enjoyed the last several weeks as we have taken many daytrips and even overnight ones to our Maritime provinces and Maine... 
I will do a blog post on that soon but we still have one or two more to take... 

Meanwhile the veggies in the garden are growing and he has been picking some.. 
We have been feasting on our new green beans and potatoes... 

This is a Maritime Canada dish and it is called Hodge Podge... 
Everyone has their own version of it.. 
Usually, the same version that your Momma made when you were growing up... ❤
My family always made it with just the green beans and potatoes but Terry's Mom always added fresh new peas to hers and some add new carrots.. 
Once they are all cooked you drain them and I add coffee cream and lots of butter, salt and pepper.. 
I think Mom used to add milk and cream... 
Just depends... 
But it is the best tasting summer dish around.. 
Oh and lobster and fish chowder of course... 
I think most areas have their own cousine that they are famous for..

And the pickling and canning season is upon us too.. 
Have been canning beans and making a ton of pickles..
Dills, dills and more dills.. Different types.. Bread and Butter, Mustard, Sweet Chips and such.. 
I still have more to make but am getting there..  
I eat them for breakfast.. 
Don't you? haha


We like having a bit of homemade bread around too ... 
As you can see we are not keto... lol... 
But we don't eat this every day... 

Another lovely summer joy are the garden flowers... 

I am not a gardener... sorry to say.. 
I love it all but I do well to get my herbs looked after and this summer I have not done well even at that.. 
Anyway, If I can buy or beg a few here and there I enjoy them... 
There are always wild ones and I am blessed with a wonderful husband who does not mind picking them for me if I can't get to them.. 
As you sweet followers already know.. ❤


We have been out to the farm of course or at least Terry has been. 

I go some but not like I used to... 
I loved it last time we were there and the cows were out in our front pasture.. 
They always gather at the fence when we are leaving.. 

I did have a vert exciting evening with one of our precious grandsons... 


Jordan... 
The dear thing took me all the way to St. Andrews to Kingsbrae Garden for a ten course meal.. 
We had such a great time... 



The food was simply amazing and it was done with such finese... 
I so loved it all...

The drive there and back was so much fun... 
All we did was talk and laugh.  

Aren't our grandchildren one of the most lovely of blessings?  
We are just so thankful for our precious family as I know you are too.. 

I am including this one wee day trip we took to Nova Scotia down the SunRise Trail along the Northumberland Strait..

We visited the beautiful Lavender Farm there.. 
Smelled heavenly and their little farm shop was sweet. 
Flower gardens and such too.. 

I think Lavender is my favourite herb for crafts and toiletries and such.. 
Smells heavenly and just so many uses for it.. 
I know some people bake with it but I have not tried that yet..

I was just so happy that my Lavender bed at the farm came back again for the fifth year... 




I harvested quite a few bundles... 



I hope to plant some differnt kinds next year that grow taller... 
We shall see... 
I certainly am thankful for this harvest.. 

I have included a screen shot that I took on a site about making some lovely sachets and such.. 


You may want to google it... 
I found the site insteresting.... 

And of course we have had several visits to our wonderful Bay of Fundy...




Old Black River Road, Gardner and Tynemouth Creek.. 
And the Duck Pond Road... 
The land of my ancestors and dear cousins still live there... 

Anyway lovies I guess this is all for tonight.. 
Tomorrow is the Sabbath and I so look forward to our church service...
There is nothing like the family of God and worshipping together.. 


This was a pic I took over in Corn Hill one day... 
The breeze was blowing and the air smelled so lovely.. 

Thank you so much for dropping by.. 
I love having you visit and leaving your sweet notes.. 
Either here, Face Book or Instagram... 
I appreciate every one of them.. 

I just noticed how much better I am doing on my Chrome Book.. lol.. 
It was a pain for awhile but I am adjusting... 

I will be back soon with our day trip extravaganza... lol.. 

Take care of yourselves and your sweet families.. 
I will be praying for you dear followers of this space here on the world wide web.. 
May God richly bless you and pray for us too.. 
Thank you... 

9 comments:

  1. Once again I,m happy to read about your coming and going's. I always wait for your posts and enjoy them so. love you dear cousin,. Val.

    ReplyDelete
  2. excited to see your photos and hear about your life. Love the scripture. Im thinking your 10-course meal was grand. the church on PEI where we cooked, called Mariah's kitchen has only one seating per night and does many courses also, nut is very pricey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Faye, I am always happy to see one of your new blog posts. It’s on my bucket list to visit Maine and the Canadian Maritimes. Praying you have a wonderful service today at church. We’ve had church prayer the last two nights, so we’re expecting the miraculous at church today. RHill, TX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting, Faye, I always enjoy your words and pictures. It looks like you have been having a lovely summer. Thank you for sharing. Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful trat your grandson gave you! I think I would have loved to visit your lavender farm too, there is nothing quite so lovely as a field of lavender.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your posts are always full of lovely, and interesting things, thank you. I do pray your youngest son will continue to be blessed, and safe, and asking that your days ahead will be blessed too xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so inspiring! Pickles for breakfast sounds lovely! The outing with your grandson must have been such a blessing! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful! I grew up in the Pacific Northwest and lavender was one of my favorite things that grew there. I used to make lavender wands to use in dresser drawers instead of sachets. The wands are made by tying ribbon around a small bouquet of lavender just below the flowers, bending the stems down over the flowers, then weaving a ribbon through the stems and around the flowers so that the flowers are contained inside the weaving. The long stems serve as a handle.
    To get more scent out of the wand, you just rub the woven end between the palms of your hand. We live on the Canadian prairies and I haven't gotten lavender to grow here yet! I should see if there is a nice smelling flower I could use that does grow here. Thanks! - Katie

    ReplyDelete