Pages

Monday, April 18, 2016

Ordinary but lovely days..


Good Evening everyone.. 
Here it is another Monday and the another week beginning.. 
We are having Spring like weather here in the Maritimes of Canada..
A bit cold at times but a couple of days this week it is to be rather warm so that will be welcome.. 
I finally finished my moss heart wreath.. 

Terry helped me make it, bless his heart.. smile.. 
I had found a wired heart at the thrift shop for hanging cards or photos on and we used that as a base.. 
I figured we would just use chicken wire but this was a bit easier, I think.. 
He had picked the moss along a ditch when we were out for a drive but I wanted several types and with snow and such we didn't get it.. 
I did see one kind on a trip we took to Calais, Maine last week but forgot to stop and get it on the way home.. 
I just gave up and went with the Old Man's Beard and when I find the other kind I was looking for I will add it then.. 
Just sort of punch it under the top chicken wire.. 
Then just added a ribbon sort of criss crossed, some pine cones and star anise, whole nutmegs and a few silk pansies.. 
I used the glue gun for that.. 
Oh and a dried bunch of basil.. 

I have hung it on the front hall closet door for now but will hang it outside perhaps this week.. 
We have been having tremendous winds and I didn't want it all blown to bits already.. smile.. 

As I said we took a little day trip to Calais last week.. 

It was a very rainy windy day so what else was there to do?  grin.. 
Or so I told Terry anyway.. 
It was a nice day but we were later coming back then intended.. 
Went through the city of St. John after supper..

Then Dustin came out for the day to help his Dad.. 


They went and cut down a couple of truckloads of wood for next Winter.. 
You probably can't see it but he brought me an apple.. 
It was a different type then we usually eat and was delicious ! 

We had donairs for our lunch and I thought you might like the recipe.. 

I found this rather interesting info... 
"In the early 70's, a Greek restaurateur in the city of Halifax introduced the Donair. Within a few short years, virtually all pizzerias had added their version of the dish to their menus. Not to be confused with gyros, the Donair has a vastly different flavor. Originally the dish was made with ground lamb, but this proved too costly and ground beef was later substituted. Technically, this resulted in an aberration of sorts, as the final product was not what the originator had intended. What resulted, however, is the legendary East Coast Donair."

The link is HERE for the recipe that I use.. 

The night before we are going to have them I just mix up the spices and hamburger then shape it into a rectangle, wrap it up and keep in the fridge overnight.. 
The next day I bake it in the over for about an hour and then cool it.. 


The sauce is so simple to make.. 
I don't use the one on the link above.. 
Here is my recipe.. 
1 x 300 mil. can of sweetened condensed milk 
1/2 cup of white vinegar
1 tsp. of garlic powder.. 
Add all ingredients to a glass bow and stir thoroughly with a whisk until well combined.. It may take a couple of minutes.. Place in the fridge to set up .. 
This will take about an hour.. 


Sprinkle a little water on pitas and toast in frying pan for a few minutes.. 
Fry up some slices of Donair meat and add to a pita along with onions, tomatoes and mozzarella cheese and the sauce of course ..  


I buy the foil sheets at the dollar store and they work great.. 
I was wondering how many each our grandsons would eat.. grin.. 
The snow has left us for good, I believe or hope so anyway.. 
Although, we have had a storm in late April before although it only lasts for about a day.. 

I did get my curtain finished and Terry put up my curtain rod this morning.. 

I had hoped to get to it but started my Spring housecleaning..

Cleaned our bathroom and it took much longer then anticipated as usual.. 
I should have had it finished much earlier but there was also laundry and meals and dishes and ... 
Well, you know what it is like.. 
I just need to find a new curtain for the window and replace our shower curtain rod.. 
At least it is practically finished.. 

Well, dear hearts this is all for today.. 
Not much just the ordinary.. 

Ordinary but lovely and all provided for by our Lord ... 

Thanks for visiting and leaving your sweet notes.. 
I will try to reply to each comment again this time.. 
God bless.. 


 Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

Linked to.. 
Art of Homemaking Mondays...

27 comments:

  1. WOW ! you have been busy . Yummy food you have posted here as well as lovely photos . I do like your heart wreath very pretty . It has been summer like weather here all weekend and today sunshine clear blue sky's and temps hitting 22C I have been able to get going with yard work and set up patio furniture . Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elaine.. I think you have had warmer weather in Ontario then us here in the Maritimes but we all catch up sooner or later, eh? Thanks for stopping by and enjoy your week... xox

      Delete
  2. Oh Faye, I love your moss heart so much, beautiful, I would love to make one...blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope you do make one, Francine... Please let me know if you do.. Thanks for visiting, my friend. xo

      Delete
  3. Hi Faye, your mossy heart turned out beautifully. I hope the birds don't want any of the moss for their nests. :) I love donairs at a certain pizza restaurant but have found the spicy meat bothers my stomach more so haven't had one in over a year. Sometimes it's fun to take a drive to Calais or Houlton for the day just to see what's new. Murray often buys his oil filters at Walmart as they were cheaper until out dollar went up. The weekend sure was a beauty, especially Sunday. Today was quite nice too. I think spring is upon us and hopefully we won't get any late snowstorms. Have a blessed week. xx Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear Pam.. Thanks for stopping by and I hope the birds don't find the wreath, too.. Oh well, there is lots of moss about and I can replace it as we go.. lol..We love going across the border for the same reason. Always find something that is cheaper regardless of the dollar value and different, eh? God bless.. xo

      Delete
  4. I like the mossy heart... unique! I've not been in the mood for spring cleaning... maybe once I'm sure that spring is here to stay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debi.. I wasn't in the mood either until I could hang the curtains and such on the line to dry and air the rooms as I clean.. smile.. I hope Spring is here to stay, too.. Thanks for visiting, my friend. xo

      Delete
  5. Yummy donairs!!!!! I love, love love your curtain!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Kathy... I didn't use to like donairs when they first came out but now I do... So nice they were kind of invented here, eh? I hope to get that curtain up before the next post.. smile.. Love having you visit.. xoxo

      Delete
  6. Faye, I can't wait to see your curtain hung up. It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to get it up soon, dear.. Thanks for visiting.. xo

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you, Lila.. It was a fun project... Loved hearing from you. xo

      Delete
  8. I love the wreath. The Donair looks and sounds delicious! Being from the Western U.S., I have never heard of a Donair. I would like to try one some day. Sounds like you are having a nice spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb.. Hope you get to try one sometime.. They are a bit spicy but you probably are used to that.. The sauce is easy to make and great with garlic fingers.. xo

      Delete
  9. Lovely wreath, how pretty!
    I always enjoy your posts so much!
    The recipe sounds so good, we have never had those.
    My fellows will love them I'm sure!
    Your curtain will be lovely hung.
    Blessings and peace to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear Ann.. So glad to see your name here as always.. Yes, I was talking to our grandsons tonight at Bible Study and they can't wait to have some.. Have a good week, my friend. xo

      Delete
  10. The wreath is beautiful and I love the curtain. I am so looking forward to seeing it hung up. I have never come across Donair, but certainly worth a try. Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear heart.. Love your sweet comments so faithfully.. Have a good week, too.. xox

      Delete
  11. I always enjoy your posts, Faye. I love the wreath and of course, the curtain...smiles. --Have a beautiful rest of the week, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love seeing your comment here, my friend.. Take care.. xoxo

      Delete
  12. The curtain is just grand Faye :-). I am slowly cleaning after winter, but it is slow going :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mari it is slow going as there seems to always something else to take our attention, eh? Take care, dear heart.. xo

      Delete
  13. Thank you, Shortybear. Glad to have you visiting.. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. The wreath is so pretty, love all the extra's you added to it, that was a great find at the thrift store for the base! Yes it seems I could get a lot more done if I didn't have all the day to day stuff on top of it all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Connie there is always lots to do and sometimes when I really want to finish a project I have to let some stuff go .. The thing about it is that it is still always there waiting for me.. lol.. God bless, my friend. xo

      Delete