Pages

Friday, April 15, 2016

Treasures in the old treadle...


Hello everyone..
 I hope you are having a good day..

 I found this post in my draft section and thought I would post it again just for fun... 
It may have been on my old blog and I just copied it on here.. Anyway.... 

We have an old Singer sewing machine in the Livingroom.. I keep it set up all the time and it is used as sort of a sofa table...
We bought this Singer sewing machine around 30 years ago from an old couple in our church... They have been gone for awhile but I still love this old treadle...
I don't use it to be honest but it does still work...

Well, I was going to do some decorating...(trying to get a headstart on it all) and thought I should check out some drawers..
This is what I found in one of them..
This old notebook used to be my Grams...It was her Record Book...My Aunt Eleanor gave it to me a few years ago.. I was very happy that she wanted me to have it.  I certainly love this old relic from my Gram..
Actually, it sort of records their lives between it's covers...

Inside is a lot of interesting information.. My Gramp was a lumberjack so there are  logging figures, births of each of Gram's fourteen children, marriages, even accidents that happened to her boys...
Of course, there were dates of deaths of loved ones..
Then there are quite a few recipes...
I thought I might share one with you...

It is dated June 6, 1930
and it is from my great aunt Sadie Weir ...

POTATO DONUTS..

2 cups of hot mashed potatoes
2 Tablespoons of shortening
Mix shortening and mashed potatoes until creamy...
Then add...
2 cups sugar
1 cup milk
Add flour with 4 tsp. baking powder OR 4 level tsp. cream of tarter and 2 tsp. soda..
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. nutmeg
Roll out onto a floured board...

Put 2 tsp. ground ginger into hot lard..*

I called my aunt asking her some questions about the recipe.. She thought it would take about 5 - 6 cups flour...

 *She said that Gram put ginger into the hot lard so that the donuts would not absorb so much fat....
I have never heard of that before but who knows, eh?

Well, friends have a lovely weekend.. 

Perhaps you will get a chance to try these donuts..
This is an old recipe and probably could be updated a bit or not.. 
It is probably perfect just as it is.. smile.. 

I want to thank all of the new followers of the blog and for all of you for stopping by... time after time... Thank you.. 

May God bless you and keep you in His care...
Hugs..
Faye.




14 comments:

  1. I have never come across potato donuts before but might be a novel thing to try when my daughters visit. How lovely to have your Grams journal, it must give you such a lot of pleasure and bitter/sweet memories. Love the old treadle, what a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a treasure in that sewing machine and the note book is wonderful! The recipe could be a mystery one and you guess the way to cook it and how much flour to use. My grandmother almost never used a recipe so we had to watch her and see how much of what she used and how long etc to cook...Thanks for sharing. Love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your treadle sewing machine and the notebook is a treasure for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these decorative old sewing machines with all their gold swirly designs on them. I know they worked hard for the sewer who made many creations with them. Your little book is really a historical treasure Faye. How wonderful to have it! Enjoy this sunny spring weekend. Hugs. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful treasure indeed! So wonderful to have this record of family events, and the recipes too! I don't make donuts, but this recipe certainly sounds pretty awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Faye, don't I love this! Look at that old treadle. one of my favourite household tools. and your old record book what a treasure to have in your keeping. and you were indeed the perfect person to care for it!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed this post, thank you Faye. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Faye, treadles are such wonderful machines. And what a treasure you found :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love these posts and I am enjoying your blog so much. Thank you for sharing all these lovely memories. Very special! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mom had a treadle machine... I don't know whatever happened to it. That's an interesting donut recipe... no yeast? Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mom had one of those machines and I sure wish she had never gotten rid of it. The doughnuts sound interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such treasures?
    The donuts sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete