Pages

Sunday, November 3, 2019

The Autumn's Past Ramble and Roll...


Hello there!
How are you?  
So happy you dropped by the Blessed Hearth today.. 
It is Sunday evening here in Eastern Canada and last night our clocks went back an hour.. 
So... 
I would say the Autumn is over!  
Although we have had a glorious Indian Summer!
But...
When the time goes back to me it is onward and upward to Christmas!  
I don't usually get too involved until after Remembrance Day but this year I must admit to starting earlier.. 
I am hoping to have some special Christmas company and so I want to get things organized at least in my head!
Hoping it gets further then that!  smile.. 

But we will ramble on here a bit and show you a few things we have been doing the last couple of weeks.. 
The table centrepiece has changed..
Terry made me this old box many years ago and I just found it down in the workshop when I was  trying to find fall decor.. 
He picked these hyrangeas because I planned on making a wreath but yesterday I plunked them in here instead.. 
Just until the Christmas one is decided on!  grin

I was so excited to make some beeswax candles... 

Last winter I took a Hibernate course and one of the projects were these candles.. 
I am so slow but finally got around to doing them and I love them.. 
Of course, I made a mistake but it is fixable! 
When she said to use a certain size wick then don't make do just because one already has some.. 
I burned the first one and  after several hours it began to smother itself out.. 
The wick was not the right size but I melted the wax and replaced the wick and it burns lovely!  
Lesson learned!  grin.. 

As you dear followers of the blog know I am a definite 
soup junkee...
This is the season for sure although I eat soup all year long.. smile.. 
This is Cabbage and Leek in a beef broth and so tasty!  
I put this on Instagram and mentioned a little tip I do.. 
Buy fresh Bay leaves from your Supermarket and then dry them yourselves and they are fresher... 
Better for crafts too as they are more flexible.. 
Like in making a dried fruit, bay leaf and cinnamon stick garland.. 
I have that on my to do list to hang in my pantry.. 
Do you make them?  
A nice gift too.. 

Ok.. 
Rolling Onward... smile 

Every Fall I collect rose hips... 
\
Just so much you can do with them and they are so healthy for you. 

We went picking them the other day.. 
I picked them in a bowl and Terry decided this was the easier way!  
I wanted them both ways anyhow.. smile.. 

I especially like to use them in a face oil that I put on before I go to bed.. 
Very easy to make.. 
Dry your hips just a bit 

I have this old fashioned flower dryer that I use.. 
When they are pretty dry then put them in a mortar and pestle and smush them up a bit.. 
Put them in a jar and cover them to the top with Almond Oil.. 
About half and half... 
After a few weeks just strain them through a cheesecloth or coffee filter and put in a lovely decorative jar.. 
Then you just wash your face and apply ... 

They are full of Vitamin C and make a lovely syrup or jelly...

I wanted a bunch to make my wreath I was talking about.. 
Hydrangea and Rose Hips but we will see.. 
I hope to make a Wild Yarrow and Rose Hip Soap for Christmas gifts.. 
He said he would help me very soon.. 
I find soap making is a two person job in this house.. 
Two temps and such make me nervous...

And I found a recipe on Vimeo for Rose Hip Pickles.. 
You only make one jar so I guess I can handle that.. 

I washed up and packed all the preserving stuff and he took it back to the basement.. 
Sooooo glad it is done!  
I love doing it but after awhile it is like Whaaaat!  
More veggies!  lol... 

This was my final preserving project..
Pumpkin Chutney... 
Oh my it is delicious!  
I will be using it for gifts but it is so good with cold meat and cheese... 
Also I made a pumpkin jam... 
You can make a pie with it..
Imagine!  
Here is the link.. 

You can use up your pumkins you used to decorate with.. 

I love working with paper crafts as you know... smile..  

Made this journal using magazine pics from "Somerset Magazine".... 

Almost done dear hearts.. 
just a bit more rambling along.. 

Roasted Veggies..


Put several cloves of our garlic in there to roast with them.. 
Love having our garlic harvest.. 
Just so fresh!  

We had a huge rain and wind storm here this week.. 
Wow!  
You know how I love the wind and rain... 

Must be my Scottish bloodline!  grin.. 
Anyway.. 
It was lovely until the hydro went off!  
I really dislike it when that happens but at least it was not for long and it was not freezing cold out.. 
Very mild actually! 
Our farm was out of hydro for over 2 days... 

I really need to get my act together for the coming months.. 
I have a feeling that it may go out more often then before.. 
I usually have a standard plan but don't think it will cut the mustard anymore with the way the weather is.. 
We do have a generator but ohhhhh.. 
I do not like it.. 
Anyway... 

A supper meal.. 


I know I post this meal often but it is just so good.. 
Rice with mushrooms, onions, garlic and celery.. 
Chicken Breasts.. 
Oh and use cream of mushroom soup in the rice.. 
Sear the chicken pieces first, too.. 
Not a real recipe but not hard to do.. 
When I make it there are not any leftovers as he likes it.. grin.. 

Him and Dustin used to say the sentence... 
She ruined the chicken again..... grin.. 
Just because I like trying new recipes.. 
Sheesh... 
This one is acceptable though.. grin.. 

Well.. 
Almost finished.. 
Gathered up all the Fall stuff and packed it away again.. 

And on to newer things... 
A couple of new Make and Do books!  
Love them.. 
The best ones I have bought in ages!  
Starting tomorrow I am spending at least an hour or so a day making something!  
Stay tuned.... lol... 

Meanwhile.. 
Another Sabbath is over.. 
God has been faithful as always the past season and I know He will be in the future.. 

The lights are on earlier here at home now.. 
Home... 
Such a lovely word.... 
But as Terry and I were talking in the car the other day after our country's election... 
We don't know what is down the road for our country... 
The love of God and sacred are beginning to be among the missing elements of Canada.. 

But the thing is ... 
This world is not our Home.. 
We are just a passing through.. 

Some sweet morning we will be going Home.. 
To be with the One who loves us..
That is what we are looking forward to.. 
But for now we love the precious gifts that Jesus has given us with our Homes and sweet Families... 

Thanks so much for stopping by.. 
I love your notes and hope to hear from you... 
Take care of yourselves and your dear ones... 
Till next time.. 
I will keep you in my prayers...   


God bless!  

14 comments:

  1. Indeed, friend in your last thought. I am afraid winter will be upon us here in western NY-the temps have been in the 30's and 40's, we also had high winds Halloween and All Saints Day. Saturday and today, we had snow flurries and freezing rain. I hope you have a lovely week ahead, smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely post as usual, Faye. It is hot here while you are cooling down and soon I will be seeing your snow pictures once again. These days I use the room temperature method when making soap as it is much easier as you don't have to keep taking temps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Home both here and our "real home" are such a comfort to the soul. Our soups and stews nourish that don't they? What a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful and uplifting. I love seeing your home through the seasons. You write beautifully as well. Hugs, from SE Georgia, USA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always feel I am there with you as I read your posts, Faye. I think the rosehip oil sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful post! You always encourage my heart toward home and heaven. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The love of God is missing in the USA too. It is all love of self and what makes me happy. If they only knew they will never be happy without God.

    I think that same storm went over us way down here in South Carolina. Our power flickered all through it and we were keeping our fingers crossed that it would stay on and it did. Later my husband walked over to the lamp by my chair and checked the light bulb and it was loose. That was the real reason for the flickering lights!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your pictures and seeing all your ideas. Thanks for sharing them with us. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post. Keep on writing more interesting stories!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post once more Faye, you nailed it again! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this post. Keep on writing more interesting stories!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing it Faye! Love it..

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an awesome post, thanks for sharing this..

    ReplyDelete