Pages

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Saturday Morning Breakfast.....

Good Morning.... Another beautiful Saturday... I wonder what you are all doing today.... When it comes to posting I try to write about things that I think you might be interested in.... And help you in some way..... Thank you to the followers of The Blessed Hearth... expecially to those who comment...lol.. Some girls email me and tell me about reading it so that is lovely... at least I know you are out there...lol...
So... what am I going to talk about... well, I think I will show you some things that I have been doing with Rhubarb,,,,
This is the peak time for rhubarb here in N.B.... This rhubarb in the pic was some that I turned into a Rhubarb and Rosemary Conserve..... It is simply delicious...We had company the other nite for supper and I served it with some pork chops... It just went perfectly together but it is also good on toast or homemade bread of course...
You can really taste the flavor of the Rosemary which goes so well with chicken or pork... This did not take long to make at all..  It is so satisfying to take an hour on your weekend and make some kind of preserve that your family will enjoy ...
Every year I make Rhubarb Pineapple Jam..... It is so easy and tastes so delicious... You use strawberry jello and a can of crushed pineapple... It always turns out good and is a good starter recipe for you girls who are new at preserving... The Keepers of the Home have made this a couple of times so far...
You can google the recipe or you can have mine... just comment or email so I know you would like to have it...
Another thing I love to make on early Saturday mornings are muffins..... Terry loves them as do I and I make them with splenda so he as a diabetic can have one... or two...lol...
These are my Harrowsmith Rhubarb and Apple Muffins... They are so moist and full of goodness.. nuts, apples and rhubarb...As before just let me know if you would like the recipe...
Now before I go I will tell you about a memory I have that has inspired me over the years with my family...
When I was a girl we moved to Salisbury where we lived near a family who we also went to church with.. Their daughter became one of my dearest friends and still is today... Anyway, there were 9 kids in their family and they had an awesome Mom.... There were only my sister and I in ours so I loved going to their house.  Her mom always made me feel welcome.... day or night... I loved staying over and did so many times..  In the mornings when we would go down for breakfast her mom was already up with that long table all set for everyone... I was only used to 4 places but now there were 12..lol..
The beautiful thing of it all was that her Mom had a wee bowl of jello at the top of each place setting... Can you imagine it?  All different colors and so sweet!!   Then there would be hot cereal and egss and toast... But to think that she would go to all that trouble to make jello for everyone... I never forgot it... Jello today is no big deal but remember I am much older than you all and it was a differnet time....
So what I am trying to say is a child never forgets the little extras that a Mom takes the time to do... Even your child's friend might take that memory with her down through the years and influence how she raises her family...
Remember it is the little things that counts... Have a wonderful weekend and prepare for tomorrow.... the Lord's Day... Put Him first and all things will follow...
Blessings....

4 comments:

  1. HAPPY MEMORIAL WEEKEND FAYE!
    Your Rhubarb looks so fresh and big...wish mine was like that - I have skinny stuff but it still tastes wonderful.

    Your conserve looks great and I can imagine it with Pork...

    Hugs, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. The conserve looks wonderful. I am going to try it this weekend. Hope your memorial weekend is wonderful. I am making the bread in from one of your previous posts.


    Smiles, Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Faye,
    Jello for b'fast... I can just imagine how hyper my kids would be in Sunday School if I let them have Jello on a Sunday Morning LOL.
    Your saturday muffins remind me of my saturday morning pancakes. I spend an hour on Saturday mornings making up a huge batch of pancakes. I'm lucky if they last for more than 2-3days! i even made a double batch of your syrup this morning.
    It is now my favorite syrup- if I can't have 100% pure maple, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post..really enjoyed it once again...as usual...Yes! I would love to have the recipe to the muffins and the preserve. Sounds like they would be fun to try to make for the first time. Going to make the bread again tomorrow, we really love it and it is so easy and quick. Love Ya...Take Care.

    ReplyDelete