Pages

Monday, January 9, 2017

A Winter's Afternoon...


Hello dear hearts.. 
A lovely Winter's afternoon here .. 
Cold but the sun shone.. We had a snow storm over the weekend and everything is beautiful and fresh looking.. 
Nonetheless, I prefer the bare fields even if they are not as pretty.. smile.. 

So many things to do on these Winter afternoons, I find.. 
My to do list is long.. 
Not just household chores but creative things like remaking my country calendar, sewing bags for my scarves, tights and such, new recipes to try,  writing a new cook book, a list of redecorating I would like to attempt, taking care of plants and repotting a few and so on and so on..  
Believe me, I won't accomplish half of them but the ambition is still there.. 
You know what they say.. 
The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.. grin.. 
Anyway.. 
Most winter lunches are soup around here..  

One of my faves but nothing new.. 
The recipe is Here..

Terry and I made a little trip down to St. Martins to check out the cottage on Friday.. 

We picked a great day as the waves were lovely.. 

Love windy wavy days... smile.. 
I told him we should stay overnight.. 
We may have been a bit cold as the heat is turned off.. 

The harbour.... 
The dear old cottage... 

And at the end of our street.. 
More lovely waves.. 

We made a wee trip up the road and filled some water bottles with some cold fresh Spring water.. 
It was a great day...
So blessed to be retired and still able to get around and enjoy ourselves.. 
On Saturday we spent the day with Shonda and Dave.. 
We went to East Side Marios for supper ... 
My most favourite spot to eat.. 
Pasta, of course.. And seafood... smile.. 

Still trying to use up our New Year's turkey... 

This was a recipe my friend Maxine gave me many years ago.. 
It is very good although I have made a few adjustments...

Terry had seconds... smile.. 
Here is my version of the recipe.. 

messy writing.. 

Hot Turkey Salad Casserole.. 
2 cups of diced turkey. 
1/2 cup of chopped celery
1/2 cup of chopped onion 
1/2 cup of chopped green pepper
1/2 cup of mayo
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 can of sliced mushrooms and liquid
1 cup of milk 
1 cup of raw rice , washed 
1 cup of chicken broth or water.. 
salt and pepper 
Fresh chopped parsley to taste.. 
1/2 cup of grated cheese.. 

Mix turkey, veggies, rice, mushrooms, parsley, salt and pepper and mayo in a greased 2 quart casserole dish.. 
In a separate bowl stir together the can of soup, milk, mushroom liquid and broth.. Whisk if necessary.. 
Pour over above in casserole dish and stir well.. 
Bake in a 350 degrees F. oven with cover for 45 minutes.. 
Add cheese on top and take off cover and cook for another 15 minutes until casserole has thickened up and cheese has melted.. 
Serve with fresh bread and a green salad..  

Hope you like this.. 

I have been trying to get all the Christmas decor put away.. 
What a job.. 
Much easier just putting it up, I think.. smile.. 
Anyway, it is done but we have to clean a space on the shelves as I am trying to reorganise it all.. 

We were on the roads all last week almost so this week it is home sweet home.. 

We have a new sofa set coming on Wednesday.. 
Terry and Dustin took our old set up to the farm and what a chore that was.. 
I can't remember it being such a trial to get it in the house as it was getting it out but all is well that ends well.. 
It is up there in the living room... 
The delivery men will deal with getting the new one in so that is all good.. 

Well, this has probably gone on long enough for this time.. 
I hope you are enjoying your winter season.. 
Oh .. 
I wanted to add this that I posted on my Face Book page.. 

Love Does..
I get the invitation every morning when I wake up to actually live a life of complete engagement, a life of whimsy, a life where love does. It doesn’t come in an envelope. It’s ushered in by a sunrise, the sound of a bird, or the smell of coffee drifting lazily from the kitchen. It’s the invitation to actually live life, to fully participate in this amazing life for one more day.  Turning down this invitation comes in lots of flavors. It looks like numbing yourself or distracting yourself or seeing something really beautiful as just normal. It can also look like refusing to forgive or not being grateful or getting wrapped around the axle with fear or envy. I think every day God sends us an invitation to live and sometimes we forget to show up or get head-faked into thinking we haven’t really been invited. but you see, we have been invited – every day, all over again.
— Love Does // Bob Goff

It was written by Bob Goff and I loved it ..

Have a great week sweet friends and thanks so much for dropping by and leaving your wonderful notes and emails.. 
God bless.. 

Linked to... 




16 comments:

  1. Mmmmm... that casserole sounds perfect for a cold winter day. It is nice to be retired and able to do some spur of the moment things. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That recipe sounds really good and I have some leftover turkey in the freezer still so I think I will give it a try. Have a lovely week and stay warm and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your St Martins pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your casserole looks delicious. I'm saving the recipe. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the many smiles on this cold, bitter, snowy morning from western NY...have a beautiful day friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved what you did with the turkey leftovers, I have some turkey left over from Christmas in the freezer. I will definitely be trying that recipe out. Your beautiful cottage is situated in a stunning part of the world surrounded by such beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your photos - a blessed retirement, indeed - and love a hot salad so thanks and oh, I love Bob Goff's quote - full of love this morning in rainy CA - next to you at Strangers and Pilgrims. (:

    ReplyDelete
  8. Faye, those photos of the waves at St. Martins are beautiful! I was thinking of the erosion that would be taking place as the wild winds and waves of the Bay of Fundy wear away at the cliffs even more and the changes that will take place. I'm glad you have lots of things planned to pass the winter months. I am hoping to get out snowshoeing and maybe go for a run on the snowmobile with Murray once he gets it put back together. lol Wishing you a cozy week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are those caves along the water in the harbor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ginney.. No, they are along the harbour although there is one in the harbour.. These caves are a bit further down the Bay... Thanks for dropping by.. xo

      Delete
  10. Lovely post and photos . The turkey casserole looks YUMMY ! The weather here has been dreary and a nasty mix of all sorts with high winds , hoping for it to settle down soon and see some sunshine . Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved your seaside pictures! And that casserole ... sounds simply wonderful! Every time boneless chicken breast go on sale at our local market, I cook many of them up in the slow cooker and then cut up the cooked chicken and package in freezer bags in meal-size amounts. This casserole would be a perfect use for a package of cooked cubed chicken. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, and the quote you shared ... simply fantastic. We need to stop and take a deep breath and appreciate the abundant life we have been given.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful writing at the end. I love that. The recipe looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That "Love Does" is just wonderful. Faye your Blog is just lovely as usual, it gives me a sense of comfort. Thank you ...Woo xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sounds delicious! A lovely way to spend your day.

    ReplyDelete