Pages

Monday, March 14, 2016

A Ramble and Roll...


Good Evening my dears.. 
Just writing another ramble and roll type of post.. 
We have been going hither and yon and although each week we say we are going to stay home and get a few things done we end up running the roads again.. smile.. 

Therefore, my posting has been a bit erratic.. 
Today we stayed home and have started off the week right.. grin.. 
The pics are a bit of this and a bit of that so I best explain as we go, eh?  

Up above is a batch of Whoopie Pies that I made a bit ago for our little fellowship that we have at church on Sunday mornings.. 
Do you ever bake these.. 
My sister-in-law gave me the recipe for them over 40 years ago and everyone still enjoys them.. 
We like them a bit moist but our son-in-law likes his cake like.. 
They are good regardless... eh? 

Terry and I have been spending at a couple of days a week at the old farm.. 
So happy that we can get in the lane and thus enjoy the old place this Winter.. 
I know I tell you this each time I post but we do so enjoy it there..
I almost always make a bit of no knead bread and put soup on the old wood stove.. 

Terry and Trevor are still enjoying going to the wood lot each week.. 
Either cutting a bit of wood or cleaning up the lot.. 
Whatever it is they certainly enjoy themselves.. smile.. 

We have such a mix of weather, really. 
We go from snow to rain and wind... 

We sometimes go for a drive while we are at the farm and this is another picture of Albert Co.. 
I think this was last week before we had the snow.. 

The wind has been wild the last several days.. 
Terry put a wind chime that I bought at the thrift store in the pine tree outside our bedroom window .. I love a wind chime, don't you? 

Today I was working on our livingroom.. 
Doing a bit of redecorating and cleaning and such.. 
I needed a little table for a lamp to sit by the spinning wheel and remembered that I had this one that belonged to Terry's Mom.. 


I tried to decide if I should paint it or not.. 
I didn't think he would want me to so I found my home made beeswax furniture wax.
As you can see it worked very well.. 


And smells so lovely as it is scented with lavender essential oil.. 
Here is the recipe again.. 
I did do a post on it awhile back.. 

Beeswax Furniture Polish..
Warm 250ml or 1 cup of jojoba oil or apricot kernel oil in a small pot.. 
You can use a mixture .. 
I used apricot plus grape seed as I read it has the same qualities.. 
Add 15 grams or 1 Tablespoon of dried herbs.. ( I used lavender and rosemary)
2 strips of lemon zest.

Place over low heat until small bubbles form on the edges.. 
Then take it off and leave setting overnight.. 
I actually let it sit for a week.. 
Strain the oil through cheesecloth into a heat proof bowl.. 
Place over a simmering pan of water and add 80g. (1 cup) of grated beeswax ..
Keep stirring until melted. 
Add at least 6 drops of essential oil.. 
I added part lavender and part rosemary and a lot more then 6 drops.. Just till it smelled my way.. 
Pour into a tin or heated glass jar..

This recipe is taken from the book
FROM THE GARDEN BY DEBORA ROBERTSON.. 


I think I will put this plant on it instead of a lamp, though.. 
Shonda gave me this as a wee slip and looked how well it has grown.. 
It is a Prayer Plant.. 


We had our Keepers meeting but I did not get around to doing a post about it.. 

We had a great time although there were not very many of us.. 
It was not great timing and everyone was busy.. 
Here is Carmen making a dish soap with lemons, vinegar and salt..

Home made Dish Washing Liquid.. 
Ingredients
  • 3 lemons
  • 14 oz water
  • 4 oz white vinegar
  • 1 cup salt
Directions
  1. Cut the lemons, and remove all of the seeds.
  2. Cut the lemons into smaller chunks and put into the blender.
  3. Add water to blender, and blend on high until smooth.
  4. Pour into a pot, add vinegar and salt, and stir.
  5. Cook just below boiling for 10-15 minutes. It will be pretty liquidy until it cools completely, so don’t worry if you think it is too thin.
  6. Allow to cool slightly, and store in glass containers. 
I am one of those people who loves suds in my dishwasher and I found that although this cleans excellently and smells wonderful that there were no suds.. 

So I just put in about a 1/4 of a cup of this and a squirt of lemon Dawn.. 
I get the great cleaning along with a bit of suds and still save money.. 
It really goes a long way.. 

I did a bit of research on google and found that this recipe is used for dishwashers also... 
Interesting... 

I made this recipe to go on bagels for breakfast and the girls loved it.. 

And dear Lindsay made us some delicious pancakes that we had with some Prosser Brook maple syrup.. smile.. 
Sorry, no picture but here is the recipe..

As was said I have been working on our living room trying to cosy it up a bit.. 

It is quite a large room of both living space and dining room so it needed some colour and such.. 

We finally finished the curtains to suit me today.. 
Terry had to make rods out of wood but now they are finished to suit me.. I will do a pic for you when I get it all finished.. 

I also made a centrepiece for the table.. 

Love these shades and am trying to incorporate them into the room.. 

Oh.. and I made another batch of hot pickled veggies just for me.. smile.. 


Terry doesn't like them but they are a great snack with hardly any calories.. 
Veronique (Dustin's girlfriend) found out she likes them too.. grin 

And finally, I am almost done but I did my Winter gardening.. 


Sprouts on the window sill.. 
please note my new teapot... 


Oh sprouts.. how I love thee... 
Terry doesn't like them either... Honestly... He doesn't know what he is missing.. grin.. 

Well dear hearts this is finally finished and I think I am now caught up pretty good anyway... 
Please forgive me my lack of blogging and commenting on your blogs although I do visit when I can.. 

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving your sweet comments either here or on Face Book.. 
I look forward to hearing from you all and do try to answer your questions.. 

I am a happy grandma tonight as our dear grandson is back on Canadian soil and flying from Ottawa to Halifax... 
He had a great time in Africa on his Missions trip and had a wonderful unforgettable experience.. 
But I am glad he is back.

Welcome to the new followers also ... 
So glad to have you ... 

God bless you all... 
xo


and


19 comments:

  1. Lovely post and photos full of YUMMIES as always . My you have been busy . Thanks for sharing , Have a good week !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never made a whoopee pie! That's my confession tonight. lol You are busy running the roads and that is good to keep going and doing things. I enjoy reading about what you've been up to each week and what's cooking in your kitchens. Have a blessed week Faye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoopee pies are delicious. Every time I visit Amish country, I eat one or two ;-). Love your post sweet lady ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Faye...so good to catch up, and those vegetables you canned looked wonderful! I hope spring is on the way for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi my friend, Wonderful blog tonight. I am so happy that you are spending much time at the farm. Don't worry about your blog...we will be here when you have time. Glad the weather has been so good for you to get back in there. What a glorious place it is. All of your food pics look so yummy. I love the sprouts but have not had them in so long because of the seeds. I love your livingroom curtains. Are they aqua, my favorite color?They look wonderful with the color of your couch.

    Take care and God be with you.

    L..

    S..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Faye, I have never heard of Whoopee Pies. I do love your winter gardening. LOL! We are able to grow lots of vegetables here in winter so I guess we are spoiled. Lovely post as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a wonderful post, with so many new things for me to try. I am going to make some dish washing liquid, thank you for sharing the recipe. Love the basket of flowers, such vibrant colours. Thrilled to hear your Grandson is back from such an amazing trip safe and well. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have often wondered what a whoopee pie looked like, having read about them. Now I know! And they look delicious. It is always such a joy to read your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are whooping pies two tiny cakes sandwiched together?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, I remember my moms whoopee pies....thanks for the memories, Faye. I can't wait to see the photo of the curtains. Have a beautiful remainder of the week, friend. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness. I haven't eaten breakfast yet and your food photos are making me so hungry!!! I love that you didn't paint the table. It looks great polished up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Morning Faye, your posts are so comforting, the food yummy too. I love the table, great jod the beeswax does. Blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good day friend. Those whoopee pies look divine. Actually all the food does. That table turned out wonderful. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The prayer plant is lovely. Mmmmm...whoopie pies..how we love them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Faye,
    I sure love visiting your lovely blog. I noticed you visited me today and I was delighted:) Wishing you sunshine and beautiful days.
    Shirley from Teach The Younger Women

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely to catch up on your news and to know that your grandson is safely home again. It looks as though you have had lots of yummy things to eat! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a similar sewing machine inherited from my grandmother. I treasure it.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello! Do you mind if I share this recipe for the dishwashing soap on my blog? Thank you! I so love your blog. I wish there was a Keepers meeting near me. :)

    ReplyDelete