Pages

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

A Sunday Night Supper..





Good Morning, dear hearts.. 
What a beautiful day here in Eastern Canada.. 

Did you notice the deer in the blue dawn of the morning??.. 
The one with the injured leg is there that I posted about HERE... .. 
He is doing fine although his leg is stiff from the ankle down.. 
His friends left him once but came back for him while he finished eating something out there.. Must have been apples.. smile.. 
He finally left with them.. 
I think he winked at me on his way past the window.. grin.. 

Just posting our Sunday night Supper.. 
Notice my new wee gravy boats from the Thrift store.. 
Along with a couple of Wedgwood type glasses.. 
Supper was grilled chops, mashed potatoes, gravy, my homemade sauerkraut, salad and a parsley dressing.. 
Dessert was Pumpkin and Raisin Cake with Caramel Icing.. 

 Here is the recipe for the cake.. 
It is from my Mennonite cookbook.. 
More Food That Really Schmecks.. 
Edna Staebler from 1979.

It is a St. Patrick's  day dessert she says.. 

Laurie Bennett's Pumpkin Ring.. 
1/3 cup of shortening 
1 1/3 cups of sugar 
1 egg
1 cup of pumpkin 
1 2/3 cup of cake flour 
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. soda 
3/4 tsp. salt 
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. clovcs
1/3 cup water 
1/3 cup chopped nuts
2/3 cup raisins.. 
Cream the shortening and sugar.. Stir in egg and pumpkin.. Mix together the dry ingredients and add alternately with water. Stir nuts and raisins in by hand.. (I just used a cup of raisins) ..
Pour into a greased tube pan and bake at 350 degrees F. for 40 to 50 minutes.. 
She says this cake is as light as an Irish Mist.. 
The Irish in me loves that.. grin.. 

Now.. 
The icing was out of this world  good... 
When we were across to Maine last month I picked up a little package that you add to icing... 
It was made by you know the cake mixes that start with a D. 
Sorry, I can't remember.. smile.. 
Anyway, I just mixed up a batch of icing and added it.. 

Terry loved it so I had to hide the cake... grin..

This is a short post.. 
I made a nice long one last night and lost the whole thing.. 
I couldn't get it to publish so left the page and it disappeared.. 
So annoying.. 
Oh well... 
Here is the short version and I will try to do another tomorrow.. 
How is that? 

Thanks for visiting my friends and thank you for your lovely comments and emails.. 
So appreciate them.. 
When a blogger gets comments then they think they had better do another posting..smile

So happy you liked Faye's pantry.. 
We will try to do another one when she prepares it for Spring.. 

We had to postpone our Keepers Meeting due to weather but will do it hopefully in 2 weeks.. 

God bless.


15 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds YUMMY! I cook a roast every Sunday in the winters and have a full roast dinner , a tradition it is for us being of British back ground lol I love your gravy boats , I always like to go to thrift or antique shops to get things now to . It has been sunny here every day and all is warming up and the melt is on . All the spring birds have returned now and lots of feeding and chasing of one another has been going on in our yard and valley ! Spring is getting closer every day ! Thanks for sharing ! Wonderful photos Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your post. They always make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is a new Mennonite Cookbook - one I've never heard of. I should say "new" to me!

    Your meal looks lovely - as usual. And, I so totally agree. When one gets comments (on the blog!) it makes you feel like your being loved and appreciated. I sure do feel that way. And, yes! it makes me feel like keeping on. Thank you for being one of those faithful readers.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your simple meals that you share with us Faye. They speak of love and home and good food. Love that cake with the drippy frosting. Yum. I hope you have a nice week. Do you think we'll get some spring weather soon? I think we will. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yumm! Everything looks soooo delicious!
    Glad the deer is doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the photo of the deer! Love your dishes and the cute gravy boats. The dessert looks so tempting, I love pumpkin in anything. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummers! Maybe the icing was by Duncan Heinz?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious! I always love visiting your blog. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, first time to your blog and I love it! Kindred spirits, thanks for leaving a comment on my daughters blog post :) I will be visiting again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A grandeza dos amigos são como as flores raras: sua magnitude fica para sempre.(Cristina Beloni)
    Um lindo e abençoado dia!!!
    Beijos Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hugs Faye, the cake looks wonderful!
    love the deer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my stars Faye..
    Please pass me some cake.
    Woolie Blessings & Love

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Faye;

    Your supper looks delicious. Thank you for sharing the cake recipe.

    Spring may be just around the corner, but the corner is sooo cold.

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Without fail, I always feel inspired when I visit. Love your posts, pictures and inspiring words.
    You have a warm and welcoming manner, Faye.

    Thanks for this post.

    Keirn

    ReplyDelete
  15. ooohhhh yum!!!! We had pork chops and mashed potatoes on Monday night, but alas...sweet hubby is already too sweet (diabetes), so he had to make do with a chunk of apple tart and some SF cool whip.
    The deer in our area think they are housepets....we had one come right up the drive way last summer and eat the tops out of all of my flowers!! I guess she thought they were a fancy dessert just for her. We keep running water year around, so we often have varmints and lots of birds come to visit even though we live (on two open acres) in town.
    Blessings to you!
    J

    ReplyDelete