Pages

Monday, September 19, 2011

Homemade Apple Cider Mix...

Hello ladies...
A lovely Monday evening here with Fall in the air.. A time for apples and all that goes with them..
One Fall favorite here in the Maritimes of Canada is Apple Cider.. I  always put a mix in with ours.. If we need a lot we usually stretch it by adding a can of Apple Juice.. When you use the mix you don't even notice that the juice has been added...
I serve this at my Fall Open House and then I usually do up a few extra to sell..
Here is how I packaged it this year.....

APPLE CIDER MIX..

I just packed the mix into the wee mason jars...
Then I wrote the instructions on circles of kraft paper or paper bags...

With Fall almost upon us it is time to stock our gift pantries so I thought you might like this recipe.  I have already shared it with the Keepers of the Home...
Try to keep it a secret, eh... I try to sell it at my shows.. grin..
Anyway...

HOMEMADE CIDER MIX..
2 T. turbinado sugar (I buy this at the Bulk Barn)
2 T. dried cranberries
1 tsp. whole allspice
1 tsp. whole cloves
1/2 of a whole nutmeg
1/2 of a long cinnamon stick

Layer the ingredients into a small mason jar with these instructions..

Add contents to 8 cups of cider and keep on low heat for 30 minutes..

This year I put the ingredients into a cheesecloth and tied it with a string and then placed everything in my big tall coffee perk..
One of those big aluminum ones and just added fresh cider  as it got depleted...

Everyone loves this mix... You can certainly put much more than 8 cups of cider.. I usually use 1 litre of cider and 1/2 of a litre of apple juice to start and then keep adding as I go through the day..

Lovely for a holiday or just on one of these cool Fall evenings..

Thank you all for dropping by..
Have a lovely evening with your family..
Blessings...


over at Strangers and Pilgrims on Earth...

13 comments:

  1. I maybe Canadian but never was able to aquire the taste for apple cider but you make it sound soo yummy ! Have a wonderful day !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love hot apple cider. Its so Fall!
    Thank you Dear Faye Henry!
    Hugs Trace

    www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds just wonderful, I look forward to trying it. Thank you so much for sharing! Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds good - I'm sipping on a cup of orange spice tea with honey...as I read this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds very good. A few in our family like it hot. We are getting ready to drink some apple cider that we pressed this weekend.

    Have a wonderful evening.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait for a nice, cool day to try this! It just seems to warm you from your tummy to your toes! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am doing a gift series on my blog every Monday. I'd like to use this recipe for one of the upcoming "25 Weeks 'Til Christmas" homemade gift idea (but only with your blessing.)

    http://sparing-change.blogspot.com/p/25-weeks-til-christmas-series.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mrs. Faye, your timing on the recipe is perfect. We have been giving lots of apples which I plan to use to make apple juice. This mixture will be great to use with it. Thanks so much and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute Jars- you know how I love jars!!
    -L-

    ReplyDelete
  10. THis sounds yummy! We just picked a bunch of apples today maybe I can use some of them to make cider.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'M SO EXCITED TO TRY THIS! Yay! Thank you heaps and heaps for sharing. What type of sugar is that? I have never heard of it. Do you have to use cider to mix it with or can you use apple juice by itself, or where do you buy the cider?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how wonderful...I can almost smell it all the way here on the west coast.

    So nice to see a fellow Canadian.

    Thank you for the recipe.

    Blessings,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks delicious Faye!!! Thank you for sharing your recipe with us (and on our Seasoning and Spice Link up)!

    ReplyDelete