Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

A Corner of our Olde Cottage Kitchen and Homemade Ginger Ale..

Good Evening all...

Here it is almost the weekend again..
And a long weekend at that as we Canadians celebrate Canada Day tomorrow... July 1...

I thought I would share a couple of pics of a corner of our old cottage kitchen with you...
I want to sand and fix our old hutch cabinet before I take a picture of it.. Terry is supposed to find me a palm sander soon...
Anyway...
Please remember that it is just an old cottage that we enjoy for several months a year... We have not tried to redo it all except for a bit of wallpaper and such...
We did find some old furniture for it.. There are no cupboards in this old kitchen.. Just a pantry to take the overflow.. smile...
A dear friend of mine painted the floor for me..



A shade of mustard that I love.. As you know I prefer primitive decor but it is hard to keep it all that way as the house seems to have a mind of it's own sometimes or we run out of cash... grin..
One or the other... Then to get time for Terry to do stuff... oh my...
That is another story...He will not let me attempt it.. I have to bribe people to help me... grin... (When  he is away... smile)
Oh well... it is just a summer place anyway and we like it...
I will show you more another time...

For tonight though I did want to give you this little idea..
It came out of my idea book... smile.. from last year...
This is the second time I have made it..

Homemade Ginger Ale..
So easy and different to have for the Summer when you want a nice cold refreshing drink..And different and you know what is in it...
I made some after supper this evening and it only takes a few minutes..
First you need to buy some ginger root at the market...
I have planted quite a bit already this summer.. I just throw it in my flower beds and even big pots...
Come Fall and it will be so flavorful..
Anyway... back to my story..
Peel up your ginger root and slice it into coins to measure 2 cups..
In a medium size pot add 2 cups of sugar and 2 cups of water and bring to a simmer...

Let it simmer for at least 8 minutes until it is a thin syrup..
Take it off the heat and cool until room temp and then strain it through a fine sieve..
Store in a covered container in your fridge for up to 1 month..
Now to use this ---
For ginger ale...Fill glass with ice.  Add 1/4 cup of syrup and fill to top with club soda.. Garnish with lime slices and candied ginger if desired...
Or ... use it over pancakes and ice cream or stir into yogurt or garnish poached pears and spice cake.
Or... make a ginger ale float with vanilla ice cream..
My grandsons will love this... xoxoxoo
Well, sweet friends, thanks for stopping by and welcome to all the new followers of the blog.. So glad to have you..
And to you faithful dear ones who comment so often...
I appreciate you..
I will say goodnight for now and may the God of Peace give you all a healthy and restful sleep..
Love to you all..
JOIN US AT THE LINKS BELOW...


SIMPLY HOMEMAKING

FARMGIRL FRIDAY


22 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your little cottage is adorable !
    Home made gingerale, mmm sounds good !
    Have a Happy Canada Day tomorrow to you from us Canadians on this side of the pond( Ontario) !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Canada Day!
    I love your little kitchen. I would love to have such a cottage to spend time away from home in.
    You are one lucky woman!
    ★Linda★

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Faye ~
    Happy Canada Day!

    What a sweet, sweet kitchen! I love it! I would like to try the ginger ale ~ such a fun idea!

    Blessings on your weekend,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Faye...I just love your wonderful kitchen. I could live with a kitchen like that! Nice table and bench but I really love the floor...great color. You have done a very sweet job. Everything you do is so nice.

    May make the gingerale with the 12 yr. old grandkids this summer. Sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Faye ,Happy Canda Day !Love the cottage !The kitchen is perfect ,love the table andbench . I can see myself reading the day away in your adorable cottage .Can't wait to see more pics.Hugs,Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Morning Faye, Love your little cottage kitchen. That floor is amazing. Love the color. Happy Canada Day my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Canada Day Faye! Your kitchen is so warm and cozy. I love the color of the floor. Beautiful.
    Hugs Trace
    www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love to spend time in your cozy little kitchen! That's a really easy recipe for ginger ale; gotta try it out this summer. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your little cottage kitchen is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cottae looks wonderful and relaxing. and I am going to have t try this recipe. This year is our first year growing our own ginger! Thank you for joining TTF and I hope you and your family hve a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything looks great! Love the floors! I think I will just sit right down at the table if you don't mind!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds so easy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your kitchen! So cute, and what a great way to make ginger ale. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I too love your kitchen, I could just Live in it! I'll have to try the ginger ale, thanks so much for all your great ideas! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a delightful site! And the gingerale sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a charming corner Faye. I love your home and thank you for the recipe. I will share it with the girls!! CLarice

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the little cottage. Thanks for sharing the ginger ale recipe. I love ginger ale so I will be trying this. BTW I am a new follower love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just discovered (while away camping) that my kids like ginger ale... Sometime we may just try out that recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. HI Faye! I just wanted to let you know that tis post is going to be featured on this week's TTF party!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Best and cheap price Kitchen Renovation Contractors in Toronto GTA, Asasa Kitchens caters from New Kitchen Intallation, Custom Design Kitchens, Kitchen Remodel and Refacing.

    ReplyDelete