Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A Day's Doings and a Quick Supper Recipe...


Hello my dears...
Just thought I would give you a pictorial view of my day... smile..
Not that you are interested but when I began this blog I explained that this is basically what it would be..
Just a day in the life of an old-er (grin) keeper of the home..
So.. this is today...
My sweet husband brought me home a grocery bag full of chives..
Yikes... what to do with all of these.. I grow some but I would have to chop them all down to get this many.. He found them growing in a ditch... Bless him... smile..
Oh well ... here goes..
Heads off for jelly and vinegars...

And then chop the rest for....

Delicious salted herbs...
Four bottles... I can give a couple away and have the rest until next Spring..
And then I went out and did more gardening...
There is a lot of moss growing here in St. Martins so I do mostly container gardening except for a couple of herb beds..


As I  was telling you we found a place selling flowers at clearance prices..
I still have more to do and will show you when I actually get them done..
Then I came in for lunch and had one of my favs...
I grow sprouts all year long..
I know there is fresh greens out there but our garden is at home ..
So instead of paying 3 dollars for a wee pack of sprouts I do my own...
This is a lunch that I have often..
Pita bread with a bit of mayo flavored with garlic and then a layer of sprouts... Perhaps some onion or tomato or cuke..
Not today, though... Just mayo and sprouts..
Terry calls this my hippie lunch...
Peace... I say... giggle.. He doesn't like them...
Oh well, he is not home today... smile..
OK... it is one o'clock and I need to go to the shop..
It was a lovely afternoon..
My sweet friend Tamara (Tammy) and her husband drove 2 hours to come and surprise me... Bless them...
And Janelle and Hannah dropped in..
Hannah picked out her birthday present... smile..
And then I sold 3 of my big dolls... Yeah:-)
I now have to make more bigger ones...
I love making dolls...
And then I came home and made this for supper...
7-HAPPINESS BEEF AND RICE...
Yes... that is what it is called.. I found this in an old cookbook that was over at the shop...
I HATE TO COOK COOKBOOK....
It is a really interesting one.. (I love to read cookbooks.. weird, eh?)
Well, I found this recipe and had to try it..
This is what it says..
The 7 reasons for happiness in making this are:
1..It is meat and starch combined.
2..Neither has to be cooked first.
3..Everything goes together at once.
4..Very young people and very old people like it and the others don't mind it much.
5..The amount of meat depends on what's there.
6..Odds and ends of veggies can go into it.
7..Though it looks like dog food when it goes into the oven it doesn't when it comes out...
Well, that what it says in the cook book..
Now here is the recipe..
1/4 cup veg. oil (I used 1/8)
1 cup uncooked rice1/2-1 1/2 cups of lean ground beef
small bottle of stuffed olives... (I used 1/4 cup of chopped green peppers)
1 tsp. each salt, pepper and paprika
1 medium onion chopped.. (I added a large clove of garlic, too)
1 1/2 cups V8 juice
1 1/2 cups boiling water...
grated cheese..
Mix everything except cheese up in a large bowl..
Place in an oiled 9 x 13 pan and bake in  a 350 degree oven for 1 hour.. Add cheese and cook another 10 minutes...
Believe me... it was DELICIOUS and SO EASY..
Oh, then my dear cousin Dan and Sara came up for a visit..
They are sweet...
Well, my ladies... this is my post for tonight..
Have a blessed and lovely evening..
It is bedtime here in Atlantic Canada and guess what?  It's raining again...
Love and Prayers...


8 comments:

  1. Hello my friend, Sounds like you had a great fun filled day. Seeing good friends is a gift in itself.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe. I love the explanation before the recipe. Will definitely have to give it a try. Wishing you could send some rain down south.
    Blessings
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dog food?? Sounds yummy, just call me Fido!
    Great post, loved seeing it all, great that you sold the dolls and had special friends to visit.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to read cookbooks too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks and sounds delicious! I'm with Annie...call me Fido!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog! I just found it today. I'm new to the blog world. I'm a sister in Christ and am going to follow you. Come on over to visit me at ginger.wethreebears.blogspot.com

    Til next time...
    God bless you.
    Ginger

    I hear the beautiful music. We have similar taste. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful for your friends to drive two hours to see you. now thats what I call friends. The meal sounds wonderful to me too.
    I love reading cookbooks too. Could you share how to make your own bean sprouts? Or have you already and I missed? What kind of beans do you use? I love sprouts. :)Thanks friend!
    Hugs Trace
    www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dog Food?? That's hilarious!! I would love to look at that cookbook! With write-ups like the 7 happiness recipe I wouldn't think that sales would be very high- people want write ups that assure them that the food would be fabulous. Is that book form the 70's?? LOL
    -Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun that your friends came so far to see you.Friendships are such a wonderful blessing.The recipes sound delicious!Thanks for sharing it.Hugs,Jen

    ReplyDelete