Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

HERB HABITS..

Hello my dears...
Here it is Tuesday evening already.. I have been home since Sunday night and just got back to the cottage today..
There is still a lot of moving things down here.  It really takes a couple of weeks before it feels like you have all the comforts of home .... smile..
Anyway... coming down in the car today smelled rather nice..
I had picked a huge bag of chive blossoms from the herb bed there at home and also a bunch of lovage as the plant here is just starting and I want it to gets it's roots grown good before I help myself to it...
I think this week I will try to share a few herb habits that I have... grin...
I hope you enjoy it and even if you don't grow them yourself they are easily attained this time of year at markets everywhere...
I even noticed in the supermarkets now that they have pots of herbs growing and they are almost the same price as a small bundle all picked... You could buy these and just put them on your deck or whatever...
If you have been following this blog for a bit you have heard me go on about herbs before... But they are so good for you and just make everything taste so much better..
Well, back to my purpose here..
I made these on Saturday...
PICKLED RADISHES...

They are delicious and so easy to make...
If you are not a gardener then just buy a nice big bundle and wash them up good..
Slice them quite thin until you get about 2 cups..
I actually doubled this as I had a lot and it didn' t take much longer to make one batch then two..
In a small pot put 1/2 cup of vinegar
* I used my chive vinegar that I had made up last year but you can also use rice or white vinegar..
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt..
Just bring this to a simmer and let cool a bit..
I just put my radishes in a mason jar..
This recipe is for only 1 bottle but as I said you can double everything..
In the jar add 1 bay leaf and 5 or 6 peppercorns.
 
Now, in 1 bottle I added a clove of garlic...
In the other you can add a 1 inch piece of ginger cut in small pieces or just leave as is...
Pour the syrup over them.. You should have just enough.. 
We really like them... They are lovely on a salad plate or just eat them as a summer treat...
Ok?

Now here is what I did with a stick of butter..
I had some fresh parsley and a clove of garlic..
Threw them in my little Braun chopper and chopped... smile..
Put the mixture in a bowl with the butter and a speck of sea salt and  pepper... Cream well...
Place on a piece of wax paper and roll up..
I put it the fridge and let it sit till it was nice and firm..
Doesn't it look good?
It is... smile..
Use it for your breads....
Place a slice on your veggies..
On baked potatoes..
On fish ...
Or my fav... pasta... Yummy..
And ... a good way to use some of those old saucers you have... smile.  That is what they use for butter dishes at Kings Landing Historical  Village... 

I like making different ones....
Chive, Basil, Lovage, Parsley, or a mixture of herbs and roll them in wax paper and store in small plastic bags in  your freezer..

You can use Rosemary or Thyme with chicken or pork and so on... Just match the herb with the menu..
When you know you need them bring them out to thaw a bit...

And last but not least...
My favorite way to use Lovage...


As a straw in my V8 or tomato juice..
So nice..... smile....
I have this so often with a couple of creamery crackers..
My best treat right now...
I know... I am so easy to please ... grin..
Yeah, right....

Well girls that is all for tonight...
As I told you I picked a lot of chive blossoms and hope to get them done tomorrow...
I will let you see then...
Take care of yourselves and Happy Summer....
Love to you all...

Join in...


8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe .I love radishes so I will try this one out. Hugs,Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to try both of these! Have never pickled radishes before, this sounds almost like an Amish type of recipe! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Friend you have the best ideas and recipes. I love all of them. I dont have any radishes but going to go to market today and get some.
    Thanks for sharing..
    Trace
    www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What does the Lovage taste like? The radish pickles are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All these yummy ideas are making me hungry, Faye! No wonder your car smelled so good...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yumm! I think one of these days I will do up some of that fancy butter, and make garlic cheese bread!
    -Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your herb butter looks so tasty! I will definitely make some soon! Thanks for sharing your recipe!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, I'm here visiting from the Barn Hop. I love the idea for herbed butter and will definitely be trying out a few versions. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete