Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012

A little green and a sweet gift...


Hello everyone..
How is everything in your world?  Can you believe that it is
January 2, 2012?

... A new week... a new month... and a new year..

Every January I get a longing for growing things..
So .. the first thing I did was to go and check up on my plants and see how they were doing...
What is it about a lovely green succulent plant on the sill on a cold winter's day?  It gives me a feeling of satisfaction for some reason..

And here is my basil plant... purple basil actually...
I think this is a little miracle..
We brought this home from the cottage in September and it is still alive and in blossom.. Don't you love it?  Basil is my fave herb..
It makes a tomato sandwich come alive..

I read somewhere years ago that a good sniff of basil can get your brain cleared and get the creative juices flowing..

I have tried it occasionally.. Not sure if it works or not.. smile..
It smells lovely, though..



And then the glimse of geraniums blooming makes my heart sing..
These are going through  a stressful time (smile) but they are still blooming... They will really start doing great again in a month or so and then I will put them outside again.. I really don't know how old these geraniums are.. A few years for sure..

And the second miracle....smile..



Lavender blooming in January...
We brought this Spanish Lavender home from the cottage also..
This one is now all in bud..
Thank you, Lord for such sweet bleslsings..

And of course, my aloe vera..



I try to always have this lovely plant..
Great for burns and such...


As soon as January gets going I dig out my sprout jars...
I posted on how to grow them   HERE...



Just click on for instructions..

Terry and I are going to try to eat a lot less bread and just have a pita every little bit ...


This is one of my favorite lunches...

Do you girls grow plants or do sprouts?
I would love any ideas or recipes that you may have..

And last but not least is this darling little gift that I received from my friend SHIRLEE.. 
Be sure and check out her wonderful blog..



A dear little pin keep... I love it Shirlee...
I am so glad that we MET... smile..
I have MET such wonderful ladies through blogging..


Terry and I spent a wonderful evening on Friday night with some very dear friends..

Friends are a  gift from God.
.
They help us to weather the storms of life and to enjoy the precious moments of our lives.

On Saturday our dear friend went home to be with Jesus..
We did not know when we shook his hand and said Happy New Year that it would be the last time we would see him on this old earth..

But God gave us a precious hope... We will meet again..

We are thankful for all the lovely times we had together as couples..
  We will miss him...

His family are in our prayers..


Have a blessed week, dear friends.. Thanks so much for your sweet visit...
Talk to you all again soon..
Peace...

15 comments:

  1. Sorry for the loss of your friend !
    Lovely plants, I love Geraniums all though never had them in the house during winter months must give it a try !. I also have plants in the house it helps during winter to boost me up ! Right now we are having a big snow storm WOOHOO ! no more muddy paws lol wet I can handle "smile" . Hope you have a wonderful evening !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all your plants. I love to grow things too.
    :) Especially indoors in the winter.
    How blessed we are to know your friend is HOME!
    Love & Joy to You Faye Henry!
    Trace
    www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Shirlee's pin keep, such a sweet thing it is. The design looks delicate! I love your plants. I can only keep my Thanksgiving catus alive in the house, I seem to kill everything else indoors. Except my "old faithful", it's some kind of wandering jew I think. Aunt Dee gave it too me at least five years ago. It will turn into a strangling string, but still return in the spring. I put my gertaniums in the small tool room in an old cooler. It's a last ditch effort to save them. I have never been able to before, but last week they were still alive. I'll have to see if the bitter weather tonight takes them. I hope the scented fushia one survives. It is lemon scented, my first ever.
    Letting go of our friends hurt, though we know the parting is temporary. Praying for the family, and you two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Faye.. I'm so sorry about the passing of your friend. Sad.

    I do love your plants and the geraniums... such happy plants.

    I am sending you a New Years hug.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You for sure have a green thumb! I love fresh basil on sandwiches...yum..it is the best. Really good on grilled cheese. Try it with your pita. mozarella cheese, and tomato with Italian dressing. For a real treat you can toast it.
    Enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness Faye, I'm so sorry that you lost your friend. We never know, do we? We should always be ready. I will be praying for the family and for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have my geraniums in a brown paper bag, your post makes me want to go and plant them in the soil, inside....:)..This time of year more than the other times, I really like my home plants, they grow, are green and vibrant..and the African
    Violets...a burst of color always such a simple joy....I need to get an Aloe...and fresh lavender..do tell...how? Basil, isn't that a wonderful aroma...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend...but know that your friend is dancing in heaven with Jesus :) :)

    Oh, lavendar...it looks lovely. We have these beautiful purple ice plants here in the Monterey Bay...and they're starting to bloom now. Soon the cliffshore will be awash in purple ;) :)

    Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. We just never know, do we?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there, wow all of your plants are so neat. I wish I had room in our little place for them. Especially sprouts. I love them in sandwiches and on salads.

    I am sorry to hear about your friend. But as you said you will see each other again. That is one of the great parts of Heavenly Father's plan for us after we leave this life. I can't wait to see my grandparents again and others in my family that I never knew. My dad and his parents.

    Take care my friend and have a lovely Tuesday. :) Janet W

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have my deepest sympathy on the passing of your friend Faye. What a blessing to have the comfort of knowing he isn't lost forever ... that you will see him again one day. Blessings, Shirlee

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Faye, I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I am glad you got to see him before he went and you will see him again!

    Your plants are so, so pretty. My geranium is green and bushy but has no blooms right now. I am so glad you told me I could bring it inside.:)

    :)Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your plants are lovely, I have never grown geraniums or lavender inside, maybe I should try...hmmm.
    I thank God for good friends, and for the wonderful ones that I have "met" on-line, you being one of the ones that I treasure most.
    Love and hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Faye~
    I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend...praying for you and all those left behind. Friends certainly are gifts from God. I am looking forward to reuniting with friends and loved ones who have went ahead of me.
    What a sweet pin keep...how nice of Shirlee to send it to you.
    I enjoyed looking at all your plants, and I love that little glass snowman. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing pictures of your plants. They all look so cheerful. I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I totally agree with you-friends are such a gift from God. Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete