Pages

Saturday, March 21, 2020

A Saturday Night Posting...


Hello dearies.. 
A Saturday night posting here on the Blessed Hearth.. 
I am so glad you have stopped by tonight.. 
  
As I sit here in the sun room and type these words to you, I can hear my husband in the family room chatting with our youngest son out in Alberta.. 
My heart is full.  
I expect yours is too... 
What is it about a mother?  
When everything is lovely and our kids are great then we are lovely too.. 
But when the world is turned upside down you want those chicks near to you..  
You know they are grown with lives of their own and able to make decisions and fend for themselves but you feel better when they are near.. 
You put them in the hands of the Father but yet our heart yearns to hug them close...
Isn't it wonderful that we have a Father above who feels the same.. 
He gathers us under his wings and we will find refuge... 
He is a faithful God and during these terrible times we can put our faith and trust in Him.. 
Not that we don't have moments of anxiety but we can take a time out with Him and get back our peace..
I didn't mean to get to that already in the post but there it is.. smile.. 

How are you all doing? 

We are in isolation along with most of the world.. 
Doing our thing.. 
Just the two of us.. 
We were so happy to have our oldest son visit this morning.. 
Outside in the windy day with lots of space between us.. 
But so happy to see him.. 
To see his sweet smile... 
Thanking the Lord for the special moments.. 

The rest of the time though it is just Terry and I.. 
It is not hard to keep ourselves occupied though.. 
I will share a few of our doings with you as I always have..   

This post is not in order of the days but anyway.. 
We visited the farm and trying to get it ready for the summer months... 
An early foggy morning there when we arrived.. 
Terry put the fire on while I read in the truck for a bit while it warmed up.. 
The house is not heated all winter and the water is turned off.. 
We do not always get to be here as early as this year.. 
There is snow but mostly mild and windy days.. 
That means the snow won't last long.. 
The kitchen and porch do not take long to warm up.. 
Water is turned back on and a big kettle boils on the old wood stove.. 
My chore this day is to clean the kitchen and pantry ... 
Here are some pics of the pantry... 




Everything is cleaned but there are always some new decorating to do... 
I seem to always have little things I want done.. 
Hopefully we will get an old old sink put in this spring... 
It will go there where the pots are hanging above.. 
The shelving will be taken out and put on another wall.. 
I guess I only took one side of the room but will take more later... 
The old cupboard with the pine cones hanging are on that side..
Our oldest son brought the cones to me one day last summer when he was walking out in the woods.. 
I thought I would hang them below Tasha Tudor's pantry pic.. smile.. 

Then of course we always have lunch there..  



This is the turkey I talked about last post.. 
Sliced and frozen with a tub of gravy.. 
An easy meal to get ready.. 
We bought a big bag of turnip last fall.. 
They were starting to soften up so Terry peeled and we cooked and mashed them.. 
The first time I have frozen turnip.. 

Remember my wonderful old stove.. 

I actually found the knob that was missing.. grin.. 

Many years ago we had a hobby farm in Sussex.. 
We had 3 sheep and chickens, turkeys, geese and even a bunny.. 
I so loved those sheep .. 
After we bought this farm we really didn't go there much for the summers as we had our cottage by the sea.. 
Then about three years ago we decided to try out the farm and see how we liked doing the hippie -want- to- be thing.. 
I am sure I have written posts about that but anyway.. 
I have wanted and yearned for three sheep and a donkey.. 
I love love donkeys.. 
Well, he doesn't think we need them.. 
We come home again in the fall and where would we put three sheep and a donkey.. Pray tell.. sigh.. 
Well.. 
I was at a yard sale and there on the table were these 3 wee sheep and a donkey.. 
I thought they were trying to tell me something.. 
I bought them and took them to the farm.. 
They are a constant reminder to Terry that I have not given up!  grin.. 

Oh my.. 
This is turning into another one of those long posts.. 
Oh well.. 
You have no place to go.. grin.. 

Since I am on a story telling binge... 
May I share one more with you.. 
I had a lot of plants at the farm last summer.. 
Then in the fall I bring them all home again.. 
As you know .. I love my plants.. 
Well.. 
We were home quite awhile and I noticed that my Strawberry Begonia was missing.. 
I had a small one that I had planted but could not find my big one.. 
We went to the farm a couple of times but I looked around and couldn't see it.. 
It was odd!  
Anyway.. 
We arrived at the farm for the first time to stay for the day.. 
I am doing my thing.. 
I needed something in the living room which was very cold.. 
We keep the french door closed in there for the first several times as it takes awhile to get the place warm and dried out.. 
Well.. on with the story Faye... 
I happened to look on top of the hutch which had a ladder leaning against it and thought I saw a plant pot.. 
Yup.. 
Lo and behold... 
There it was!!! 
And... 
Alive and well!  
No water and freezing all winter.. 
Isn't that amazing!  
The dear thing came right home with me.. 
It is on the kitchen windowsill and soaking in the sun.. 
I think it has grown a few inches.. 

I know.. 
I am half baked!  

Here on the home front.. 
My fave view as you all know.. 
Bleak and Cloudy but the promise of Spring is everywhere.. 

Spring is coming to New Brunswick.. 
Well, it is actually here but not really!  grin.. 
We are so behind some of you.. 
A friend from Arkansas sending me daffodil pics today.. 
Sad... just sad... lol!  

Made a couple of  rolls of bread the other day.. 

One of sourdough... 
Lori was asking about the brand of sourdough flour.. 
I bought it at a Bulk Barn and there are no brands perse there.. 
Just a bin of flour that you scoop out.. 
Sorry about that.. 

Then a loaf of whole wheat no knead bread with sesame seeds.. 


I forgot to take a pic of it baked but it was delicious... 

And a big bowl of chicken soup with dumplings.. 
No.. a dumpling..
That is all I get.. grin..

On these lovely warm blowy days I do laundry and hang it out..  
Our waterbed sprung a leak in it.. 
The first time.. 
Oh well.. 
All fixed and back to normal.. 
Made for a bit of laundry in one night though.. grin..
And it was on Terry's side.. grin..  

Another meal.. 
Put this one on Instagram.. sorry girls if you have already seen it!  

One of my little projects.. 

Slow stitching.. 
Tis my first try so not so great.. 
Love doing this craft though.. 

Then just before all this world crisis actually took place.. 
We spent a wonderful few hours with our daughter.. 
She was decorating her church for a Cherish Conference for girls.. 
It is a lovely time and the girls look forward to it all year..

This year the theme was to be Sparkle..  

Here are a few of the trimmings.. 


Shonda and her friends were almost finished ... 


So awesome!  
So much work and talent.. 
but lots of fun, too, I am sure.. 
I had my pic taken with Shonda on the left and a dear friend she grew up with.. Wanda on the right.. 
I had a grand time.. 
The next morning Shonda messaged me that the government would not allow that many in a conference so it was cancelled!!  
Oh my!  
Understandable for sure but so much work.. 
I hope they can use it all next year.. eh!  

Just one more thing.. 

Made some cookies.. 
I know.. 
We all make cookies but at this time when everything is haywire; 
it seems one just needs a cookie...

Right???  


A lovely hot cup of tea and one cookie served on an old fashioned plate.. 
Makes the world a better place.. grin.. 

I found this recipe in an old old book.. 

I told Terry it was the best chocolate chip cookie I have ever ate!  
Not sure if the cookie was that great or the fact that I had not had one for months made the difference.. grin.. 
If you make them then please let me know if you think the same!  

Well, dear hearts.. 
This is all for tonight.. 
A very long post once again and I don't blame you if you just scroll down the pics and say hello..  
But it was still wonderful to be able to chat with you again.. 
Isn't life grand?  
Really, though?  
Won't we appreciate normal when it comes back?  
When we can hug our big kids and shake someone's hand and go through that door at church and tell the pastor's kids how beautiful they are... 
Won't it? 
Not having our hearts quake when someone coughs a mile away from you?  grin.. 
Did you see that video clip of the cat?  
Oh my word... 
It is so funny!  

Anyway.. 
Here is an amazing clip art someone came up with.. 
Now how awesome is that!  
Says it all.. 
I take Christ.. 
Don't you?  

No matter what we go through, He will be there with us.. 

God bless you dear things and I will be praying for you and yours  and you pray for me and mine.. 
OK?  
Thank you for being here.. 

19 comments:

  1. Hello Faye, it is Saturday night and I just finished watching two of my favorite pastors preach. I have been watching or listening to them for many years and my husband and I have gotten into a habit of watching them every Sat night. I turn my computer back on and there was your blog....well I could not wait to read it, so opened it right up.
    You started out with family, so glad you got to visit with one and talk with the other. Times like this really makes us cherish every conservation and or visit with our children. I agree with you, no matter their age, we just would feel better if they were near to us in troubling times.
    Your kitchen looks so cozy and inviting, and what a great treat that your plant was still alive, it really looks good now.
    So sorry about Shonda's girls conference, it looked beautiful and I am sure would have been a delight to those attending.
    The bread and cookies look tempting, think I am going to have to break down and cook some. We are working outside a lot, trying to stay healthy and get lots of sun so maybe that will off set all the calories.
    Great blog post and pictures. You and Terry stay safe and may God bless you and your family.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Faye, nice to see a post from you, so cheerful during these days of having to stay home. I love that first picture with the fog....beautiful. I think I would want to stay at that farm year round, I love old houses/farms; I so enjoy your posts/ pictures. ( theres no way to have tea and just one cookie 😁) Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love being so graciously invited into your charming nest...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Faye, it is always so lovely visiting with you. You have such a cosy space here! I loved seeing what you have been busy with. Your farm kitchen looks like such a wonderful place to spend time baking and cooking up a storm!
    So glad your plants survived! I too love my plants and treat them like babies!
    Have a blessed week ahead...stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Faye, a lovely post as usual. I got that same aggressive comment on my blog too. How sad that people would write something like that. Big hugs (virtual ones) and stay safe. God is in control as we all know,

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry you have such a nasty comment. The rest of us love you and your post, so ignore that horrid one.
    I always feel better after reading your day! Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Faye, I love your posts. I pulled all of my plants out of the greenhouse this week. I’m glad we know the One who will see us through the storm. Reminds me of the old song, “Peace, peace, wonderful peace, coming down from the Father above. Sweep over my spirit forever I pray, in fathomless billows of love.”

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Faye! I have visited often, but after reading, I don't always have time to reply. That needs to change! I love reading your blog and I think you deserve lots of positive comments and none like the nasty one above. How shameful to do that! And such a coward as to not even give their name. I have said a prayer for the person who did that in hopes that they allow God to find them and change them. It must be a truly sad existence for someone to be filled with such vile hatred.
    I love seeing all of your photos. The photo of the three pitchers with all their little chips and discolored cracks and edges is so lovely. I have few old platters that I bought at yard sales and such, just because they showed their lovely age. I love old things and have great pleasure in saving something wonderful from the landfill. Sending prayers out to everyone in hopes that this COVID-19 will soon be eradicated and we all can move on. But I hope this does leave all people with a change about what is really important. Blessings! ~Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, Faye! It seems we all have been getting that nasty comment...sigh. Stay safe and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your pics and stories!

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your pictures and post, never too long for me. I printed off the sign at the end and also the chocolate chip cookie recipe. I agree the whole world needs both of these things. Love, Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good evening Faye! Hello from Indiana. Enjoyed a lovely day despite social distancing...lol Saw your post and was thinking how nice it would be to sit and chat; perhaps with a nice piece of cinnamon sugar toast. Or perhaps you could make me a bowl of macaroni.��
    Hope all is well. Stay safe on the farm!
    Love, Fonda

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all your pictures, especially the ones of the farm. It seems like such a cozy place. Stay safe, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would have enjoyed all of this post - even if I wasn't unable to leave...lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just finished reading your post. Sometimes I get so busy but today with my tea I read the whole post. So enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Faye...a wonderful, charming & inviting post as usual. I am just catching up with it today. Though this can tend to be a scary time, I believe many good things will come from it...neighbors & families coming together to help one another, as well as helping us to appreciate the gift of an ordinary day! I grocery shopped with my d-i-l this morning & commented that I couldn't believe we were asking each other what our limit was on a can of black beans! Who knew they were so popular! Hopefully this will also help us to appreciate each blessing we enjoy, regardless of how small or big. God is so good to us & I know we are thankful, but there is that little bit of taking for granted that we slip into. I must look up some of your wonderful recipes to make for my family at this time of shared meals...I live next door to my son & his family. I will also pray for you & yours during this health crisis. Our God reigns!!

    ...all is grace!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always always love reading your writing, your recipes, art work, dinner pics - everything. Joy just bounces of the page. Thank you. This really is a balm with all that's going on around the world. Blessings to you ~ Linda (NZ)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Faye, I just don't know how you ever bring yourself to leave your farm. It is so cute and cozy. I would never step foot off the property if it were me. Stay safe dear one.

    Grace & Peace,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my, I love your kitchen. It is beautiful and it inspires me to make ours the way I love to, as well.

    ReplyDelete