Pages

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A stuffed pumpkin recipe for Supper...

Good Morning... It is so lovely but cold here today.. They are forecasting warmer but rainy days for the weekend.. That is great in my opinion as long as it is not cold.. I think perhaps I had better get used to it as there is a whole season ahead of us.. A lot of nice things about the cold season, though..
Of course, there is Christmas and all that it brings...
I love the coziness of winter... Warm fires, homemade soups, crafting and having company over for supper....
I guess if my children did not need to travel on bad roads to get to work  I would  probably enjoy the winter much more... But I do thank the Lord for their wonderful jobs that provide homes for their families... Anyway....
I thought I would post a PUMPKIN recipe that I tried out last weekend.. We had stayed home to give out treats and meet our neighbors...lol... on Sunday nite.. So I had time to give it a try.

After church on Sunday morning we had gone out to dinner with some friends and I had mentioned wanting a new pumpkin recipe... June called me in the afternoon with this one and it is DELICIOUS... Thank you, June...
Perhaps you will make it and let me know how you like it...


STUFFED PUMPKINS

1 medium to large pumpkin...or a few small ones 
Wash and clean your pumpkin and at a slant cut out the top...


Then clean out the inside and save your seeds... They are great toasted with olive oil and garlic  salt or coated with cinnamon sugar...
OR clean and dry them well and package for next year to grow some more... (that is what Terry does with most of them)

Heat your oven to 375 degrees...

In a frying pan brown up 2 pounds of ground beef...
Add a chopped up onion and of course I added a couple cloves of chopped garlic...
salt and pepper
When it is browned then add 1 can of cream of chicken soup
1/3 cup of soya sauce.. the recipe called for 1/2 cup but I think it is too much so use your judgement
1 can drained mushrooms
2 cups of cooked rice
2 T. brown sugar.. (I did not add this)
Cook and stir up well ...

Pack the mixture into your pumpkin or pumpkins... whichever..on a cookie tray or baking dish.. 
It was just Terry and I so I used 2 smallish ones... They were a little scarred on the outside but that did not matter as you only eat the inside and they were well washed...
Also, there was a lot left of the mixture so I packaged it.  Our youngest son is single and on his own so I knew he would love it just as it was without the pumpkin...
It tastes a lot like Chinese casserole without the bean sprouts...
Anyway...

If you are doing it for your family just use a bigger one but make sure it will fit into your oven...
Put the top back on and bake for 1 -1 1/2 hours or till pumpkin is tender... 

When you scoop out your meal spoon some pumpkin flesh in with the rice... 
I loved this... It tasted grand.... 

Serve with:
Crusty Bread and a  lovely Green Salad
and your own House Dressing , of course...lol...
Our favorite dressing is over on Primitive Lace at the bottom of the blog...
ENJOY...

I am trying to make some crafts for gifts or to sell or whatever.. I am actually making dolls.. (my favorite thing to create)
But I will probably post about that on the other blog when I get them finished...

I also want to remind you of the Keepers of the Home meeting on Saturday in Sussex, N.B.  
If you are interested and live nearby please email
The email address is up on the sidebar...
We would love to have you...

May God bless you all and keep you in His care...
Have a great week and thank you so much for stopping by...
Hugs.
Faye








4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a splendid meal...love the idea of using the pumpkin shell..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is Keepers a pumpkin day too Faye? I recently tried pumpkin chocolate chip cookies- surprisingly, I liked them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post, I love the look of the stuffed pumpkin, but I love anything with pumpkin. See you Saturday hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so attractive lounging all hot and bubbly in the cute pumpkin!Never would have thought of that!

    ReplyDelete