Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Old Fashioned Idea Week...Blueberries ...


              Hi everyone...
Would you believe me if I told you that it is raining hard again?  Yup.. it is.. grin..
Oh well... 
This is day 2 of the old fashioned ideas from my old book..
Today the pages seems to have a kind of blueberry theme going on here..
First there is a recipe with a story..
I'm sorry that I did not get a chance to make it though as Terry and I did up chow chow, sweet dills and sandwich pickles plus went to Sussex to buy the cukes.. smile..
Yes, I am a bit tired but thank God for a sweet man who loves to help make pickles..
There is also a bowl of my secret ginger cuke pickle sitting overnite.. grin..

I will need to make these up first thing in the morning.. 
Anyway, back to my story... smile..

A blueberry recipe for Rustic Blueberry Sauce..
A few years ago I was here at the cottage and went into St. John shopping for groceries.
There were a lot of boxes of blueberries on sale because they had been crushed a bit..
As I stood there looking and trying to decide how many boxes to buy a sweet girl about Shonda's age was putting a few boxes in her cart.  I looked at her and she grinned and said she had discovered a new recipe and these would be perfect for it..
Well, you know me..I had to ask her what the recipe was... So, the patient girl stands there as I get her to repeat a few finer points to make sure I had it down pat in my head.. As soon as I could I wrote it down..
Here it is...
RUSTIC BLUEBERRY SAUCE..
3 cups of blueberries
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 Tablespoons white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons of water
2 cinnamon sticks..
Bring to a boil and then lower heat and simmer for 8 minutes..
Put in a glass bowl and cover with saran wrap.. Poke holes in the top..
Next day you can use it for waffles, over ice cream or cakes..
They were her suggestions but I freeze this in mason jars and then when I make cheesecake this is the perfect topping..
 It is delicious..
You don't have to freeze it but to be honest I don't know how long it would keep in the fridge so I always freeze it..
Hope you enjoy this..

Now here is something I wrote down..
 
Perhaps I had better translate my writing..

There are no marble topped tables, long mirrors or lace curtains in the little parlor but simple furniture, plenty of books, a fire and a picture or two..
Louisa May Alcott..
I must have been reading her book and loved that paragraph and thought it was worth remembering..

I know... I am different..just ask my family.. hehe.. 

Also.. here is a tip I think is worth mentioning especially as we are gardening..

NAIL WHITENER
1 denture tablet
1 cup warm water
Soak for ten minutes..
Sounds easy, eh?

The sweet company we had last weekend picked me a big tub of fresh blueberries..
Thanks Vick.. 
I made some muffins this morning..
That was before I knew I was going to do pickles.. grin..

And so here is another blueberry recipe for you...
Blueberry Muffins..
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
Whisk together in your mixing bowl..
In a large measuring cup measure
1 egg
1/3 cup veg oil
1/3 cup milk..
Whisk this together and add to dry ingredients.
Just blend and then fold in 1 cup fresh blueberries..
Spray your muffin tins or use paper liners and fill almost full.. 
Bake at 375 degree F. oven for 20 to 25 minutes..
This made about a dozen good sized muffins..
We ate them with our coffees on the way to Sussex this morning.. heheh.. (not all of them)smile..
I was reading the idea book to see what I would post tonight and thought that I should make them for breakfast before Terry got up..
smile..
They were just finished when he gets up and says that we should do pickles on such a rainy day... So off we went..

Well, sweet ladies thanks so much again for visiting and all your dear comments..
You guys are all so special.. I love doing this blog thing and you make it so much fun..
Just a little reminder before I end for today..
His grace is all sufficient..
Love to you all..

8 comments:

  1. Another great post Faye!
    I love blueberry muffins and I know the kids would think it was their birthday if we had them for breakfast instead of pancakes for a change!

    Enjoy the rain and the coziness of your lovely wee cottage!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blueberries- my favorite!! If I buy a 5lb box I don't even think that there would be enough leftover to make anything... When I have them I eat them for breakfast, lunch, and supper (&any snacks in between)...mmmm good! Your recipe sounds like it would make an excellent cheesecake topping- will we get to sample this at an upcoming Keepers meeting? LOL
    -L-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy, yummy, yummy! If I wasn't already tired from being on my feet all day, those muffins would be in the oven by now! Maybe in the morning! Soon for sure, already looking forward to it! Thanks so much for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I have other idea's as to what to make with our blueberries. :-) THANKS Faye :-) Visiting here is always worth while :-) x x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like wonderful recipes. Blueberry muffins are one of my favorites. I definitely will be trying your recipe soon. Thanks for sharing all these great ideas. Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, my mouth is watering now, Faye! I LOVE blueberry muffins~ your recipe sounds wonderful. The sauce sounds good too... I would imagine it would be yummy over pancakes.
    I hope you share your pickle and chow chow recipes... I love chow chow over white beans and cornbread.
    Hope you're having a wonderful week, dear...

    ReplyDelete
  7. BLUEBERRIES are my favorite

    ReplyDelete