Pages

Sunday, February 17, 2019

Hello..



Hello everyone..
How art thou? 

My close friends who have been around me for the past few decades know that usually my first greeting to them are those three words..
How art thou?  
The other night at Bible Study our pastor mentioned that if one spoke the Kings James version of speech today that people would find it strange.  
I had to smile to myself and thought that my friends surely do think I am strange for more reasons then that though! Grin.. 
Actually there are a few who try to get those words in before I do!  
We all have our ways, don't we...  

Hope all is well with you dear girls these February days.  
We all celebrated Valentine's Day since we last chatted.. 

We had a quiet day at home.  
Terry asked if I would like to go out for supper but I told him I would rather stay home.  The evenings are so cold and I generally prefer to stay in.  
Since we are retired I find we eat out more then we should and it is not the treat that it used to be.. 
So.. 
I stirred up a batch of Chocolate Chunk cookies for a treat and cooked one of his fave meals..
We call it Hamburger Gravy with mashed, veggies and a salad.  
T'was lovely and we were content..


There is something mind blowing on Valentine's Day when you look over at your husband and think to yourself...
Oh my word... this is our 50th year of being each other's Valentine!  
Our 49th anniversary is next month but we have been in love for over fifty years!  
To be honest it is hard to imagine.  
Remembering when Terry's parents celebrated their 50th and it seemed  like a milestone way beyond our reach...
But here we are!  
So thankful. 
  God has been a faithful part of our marriage and it has lasted due mostly to His presence in our life.
All good things come from Him...  
Well, some days I can find him to be quite the pain but most days he still turns my crank.  Terry that is!   Lol..  

On with the show... 
We went for a little drive up to check on our old farm...
We were surprised at how much more snow there was up there then here at home.  
We have had rain and a couple mild days so the brook was open..  

Lots of melting around the old house but thankfully there was not any in the basement... 
When I go this time of year, I just wait in the car while he snowshoes in.  
He didn't have to this time though as there was not as much snow in the lane .
I listen to the wind and the sound of the brook..  Sometimes I have a nap but usually I just read...  
For some reason you girls mention that you like to hear about whatever little projects or tasks that I have been up to..  
So... 
I made a batch of Sofrito the other day and put it in the freezer.  
This is a sort of mixture that is used a lot in Latin cooking to add flavor to dishes.  
Martha Steward suggested several ways of using it also..  
Just Google if you are interested.  

Then I did a new salad dressing..  
I do not use store bought salad dressings although Terry does.  
I will put a jar or two of homemade on the table and he will go open the fridge door and get his Kraft ranch, French or Catalina.  
Can you imagine!  Lol.., 
I told him 49 years ago that there were a few things I would not give up.  
Such a thing was onions.  
Now he likes them as well as I do but...
not the salad dressings.. So we compromise.  
He buys his and I make mine!  Lol!  
This one was really good...  
Here is the recipe... 

1/4 cup of red wine vinegar  (or whatever kind you have)
1/2 cup of canola or olive oil
juice and zest of 1 lemon 
3 cloves of garlic (smash into paste)
2 tablespoon Doon mustard
1 tablespoon honey
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon or two of minced herb of choice
pinch of red pepper flakes

Put all in a bowl and whisk or a jar and shake well..  
Enjoy.. 

Rambling along here..

The best thing we did was to make a batch of cold process soap.  
I am so excited about making it.  A goal I have had for years.  
It would not have been a success without Terry helping me.  
I love it and hope to do another batch soon as we want to iron out the wrinkles of the process.  
It smells of patchouli, lavender and grapefruit. 
Another skill I have longed to conquer was the making of sourdough bread.  
This was my first try... 

It looked so wonderful when it came out of the oven and tasted so good the first night...  
Then the next day it was hard and just not what it should have been... sigh...
I shall try one more time, I think.   
I will let you know the results.  Smile.. 

Well, dear hearts....  
I think I have gone on long enough for this time..
Hope you are blessed with a wonderful week and great weather.  

God bless!  


17 comments:

  1. Thank you for your interesting and inspiring posts! I have been using up my various yarns for crocheted hats..still needed as we slide into March!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faye, I don't think sourdough is as good the next day so I bake mine in loaf tins then slice it and freeze to use for toasted sandwiches for lunch. You have done well with yours though and your soap looks great too. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evening Faye...I always love pictures and stories of "The farm". Your soap looks nice....how do you make It? I can't believe we are halfway through February...
    I'm not a winter person and look forward to warm weather. I enjoy the beauty of winter and love a good old fashioned snowstorm..from inside. 😉 but look forward to garden season. Have a nice evening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved seeing the pic of the farm with its snow ... beautiful and stark

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Faye, I am very pleased to have found your blog again, over a year ago I lost all my contacts, then became ill! I apologize for my long absence. Love your writings, always make me feel right at home. Hugs, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your photos particularly of the farm in the snow. We too stayed at home for Valentines night and I cooked my husbands favourite meal. So much cosier than going out.Havent seen Charlie for a while - is he OK?

    ReplyDelete
  7. He still turns your crank...(smile). I'm sure you will master the sour dough then share the recipe with us! It looked beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful post (as always), Faye! I love coming here to see what you've been up to. Some times I leave a comment behind to let you know I was here and sometimes I just drink it all in and think about it for several days. :) We will celebrate our 47th anniversary next month and it is hard to believe! I'm glad you had a lovely Valentine's Day! I also love it that you were content to treat your man to his favorite foods and make him some yummy cookies. For some reason this culture we live in today has trained women to think that they are the ones who should do the spoiling. I'm with you, Friend. I love your way of thinking. I laughed out loud at Terry and his store bought dressings! It reminds me of the way some things are here. Your description of him getting up from the table, opening the fridge and getting out his store bought dressing reminded me so much of my sweetie and his hot sauce! It used to really hurt feelings but after 47 years of knowing him I just chuckle and go on. :) Thank you for the sharing your dressing recipe. I'm going to give it a try because hubby will try homemade dressings...at least one time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. As always, Faye, I enjoyed having my cup of coffee and spending time with you. Love your pictures of the farm and a tear sprang up in my eye when you mentioned you had had 50 years of Valentine Day looking over at your husband. We celebrated our 50th last October and even though my husband has been very sick we were able to go to the Smokey Mountains and just enjoy God's beauty there. Thanks too for sharing your dressing recipe. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are on our 38th year of marriage and I feel blessed to have found him. The soap looked good, I was thrilled to read that you had fulfilled your dream of making some.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our favorite meal out is breakfast. That was our Valentine Day treat to each other. Just being together is gift within itself. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything's beautiful, your country is amazing. I will enjoy trying the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too have tried to master the art of sourdough bread but with no success. It never turns out the way I think it should. Good luck with it. I love the soap. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember the first time I made soap and how nervous I was to use lye. Now I make it and sell it. Your soap looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ginney Camden of Threads Thriugh the YearsMarch 13, 2019 at 9:55 AM

    We have been married 48 years now. It does ‘t seem possible. I enjoy your blog so much b

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm Quaker.. we would be more inclined to ask " How is thee"?

    ReplyDelete