Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Dinner at the Farm...

Good Morning my dears...
I promised to post some pics today of our day at the farm...  
When we arrived it was raining and you can see the fog over the hills ...
This is from the back step....
Can you see the snow? 
Terry decided he had better work inside.. 
The back porch has an old floor that he and Dustin have been tearing up.. What a mess:-)  Hence, no pics of that.. 
Thank the Lord, he got that all finished and the stove moved and replaced and set up again.. 
One big job done although it took most of his day. 
Meanwhile, I washed everything in the cupboards and counters... 
And started dinner... 

We call this a Boiled Dinner..
It is just the leftover ham bone with a good amount of meat placed in water and boil away for an hour or two and then add wedges of cabbage, carrot slivers, onion, cubed turnip and whole potatoes..
Boil until everything is fork tender...
Add a nice handful of chopped parsley just before you serve it..
Oh, and salt and pepper of course...
I really messed up yesterday with my camera and deleted a few pics by mistake...
One of them was the dinner without the steam... oh well..
As it was cooking I set the table..
I love these old placemats that I have had since our oldest children were small....


Old farm scenes...

Here is the table all set ...
We always have pickles with our meals.. sometimes even breakfast.
This year we were blessed to have some of our homemade dills left over to enjoy...I think I made at least 100 pounds of cukes...

Anyway... here are a few shots of a few little gatherings in the kitchen...

On top of an old china cupboard in the kitchen...

Inside the cupboard..
Terry bought these sweet dishes for me at an old farm auction in Sussex. 
We used to live there 26 years ago and he was best friends with an old farmer.. 
These belonged to his mother... The farmer's wife told me about them.. 
It was just before Christmas and the mail came on an old wagon.. 
His mom could see there was a box of dishes on there and she said ,"Wouldn't it be wonderful to get a nice new set of dishes?"
And in came the mailman with the box...Isn't that sweet? 
I cherish these ....
 

My old rocker...


Tea time after I have washed so many dishes....
Cleaned out all the cupboards..
Washed the stove and windows.... and.....smile...
Here is the  dear old harvest table Terry got at another auction.. 
What is a farm kitchen without a harvest table??  smile...
Here it is time to pack up the car and head back home...

Eh, Sammi?
He loves it here... This was his first home and he knows when we get here...
Dustin always let him out at the top of the lane and let him run ahead of the car and we do the same... smile..
Well, Lord willing we will be back tomorrow...
Not a leaf on the old apple tree yet...
Soon....

Well, girls I hope you enjoyed the wee visit... I will show some more tomorrow as we are getting ready to go again today..
Better ones, I hope... But it is still raining hard..
So we will be inside again...
God is good and I am thankful for this time in our lives when we can do these things together and still enjoy each other's company. 
God has blessed us and I am thankful...

Have a blessed day..
Hope to get back to you tomorrow... Lord willing....
Hugs...
Faye...


8 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures. Your boiled dinner sounds great. I will have to try that.

    Have a great day.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly did enjoy visiting your farm! But then I'm a country girl and love wide open spaces and apple trees!
    Blessings!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a wonderful productive day! I love boiled dinner. Those dishes and table are beautiful!

    Hugs
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a wonderful visit... thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Faye~ I enjoyed this tour around your farmhouse so much! Thanks for "taking me along with you"...
    Your "boiled supper" looks fabulous.
    I have to admit, I'm a little green with envy over that cute lil' sunny yellow teapot... *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for inviting me into your farmhouse..I love it..I am so in love with your dishes, the story behind them and your dear SAMI!!
    Hugs Granny Trace

    www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your teapot!!! it's so bright and yellow!!!

    Thanks
    Leontien

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet old farmhouse with all of your wonderful things in it. I know you enjoy this place so much. And to think it has great memories. Nothing better than a good old farm table to do your work on. That boiled ham dinner looked delicious. We have that many times for supper. My husband loves it! I can't wait to see all the fresh, new green around the farm soon.

    ReplyDelete