Pages

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

There's nothing so sweet as...


Good Evening everyone.. 
Thanks so much for dropping by the Blessed Hearth.. 
Have I told you lately that I love having you?  grin.. 
I do ... 

For you tonight I have a couple of  wonderful recipes.. 
They are both from my favorite cookbook.. 
A Mennonite one by Edna Staebler who is a Canadian.. 

The first one is called.. 
SPEEDY PAT-IN PASTRY.. 
It is easy, crisp, tender, tasty and needs no rolling.. 
I make it in my 4 cup measuring cup although the recipe says to make it in your 9 or 10 inch pie plate..

Here is the recipe.. 
1 1/2 cups of flour... white or whole wheat
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
3/4 tsp. salt 
1/2 cup corn oil
3 T. cold milk..

So either sift your flour, sugar and salt directly into your pie plate or in a bowl or measuring cup.. 
Combine the oil and milk in a bowl or another cup and beat with a fork until creamy..
Pour over your sifted flour mixture..
Mix with a fork until completely dampened..

Press the dough with your fingers to line the bottom and sides of your pie plate..
Flute the edges if desired and fill with whatever filling you have chosen..
If you need a cooked pie shell then prick with a fork and bake at 425 degrees F. for  15 minutes but watch it.. 

I picked another recipe from her book and used the pie crust.. 

LUSCIOUS APPLE PIE.. 
A baked shell.. 
6 to 8 apples 
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water or less
2 T. butter
1 tsp. almond flavoring
TOPPING
1 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup shortening.. 

Core and slice the apples.. Add the sugar, water and butter.
Cook until tender.  Cool and add almond flavoring..

Mix the topping until crumbly..
Spoon the apple sauce into the pie shell and cover with crumbles.. 
Bake in 400 degrees F. oven for about 15 minutes until topping is golden.. 


She says to keep your eye on it.. 


It was very good.. 
Serve it with ice cream, whipped cream or cheese.. 
You know there is nothing so sweet as a fresh pie out of the oven..

I believe Spring has sprung here in the Maritimes of Canada.. 
The grass is turning green and there are snowdrops and such.. 
My irises are up and lots of chives... 

Today as I waited in the car for Terry I made some lists of things that need done at the shop.. 
We have two rooms that are not finished so we hope to get them done next month and Terry thinks that my plan for a work space in the front would be kosher.. 
We hope to get down there soon so we can look it all over and make some plans.
 Hopefully, next week.. 

For tomorrow I am going to go and stay a couple of days with my sweet daughter.. 


Our son-in-law is in L. A.  so I will be company for her and our grandsons.. 
We are planning a wee trip across the border.. 
Should be fun.. 

So, I will be missing for a few days but will check in with you all 
when I get back.. 

So glad, you dropped by.. 

When I get home I think I will try and do a little give away.. 

My goodness, I don't seem to get any new followers lately for some reason so perhaps it will jump start it again.. grin..

Looking forward to hearing from you.. 
Peace and Joy...

linked to ...Clever Chicks ...


23 comments:

  1. Have a great trip Faye. We will miss you. Enjoy spending time with your daughter and grands.
    Hugs
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Faye, Won't that be lovely to stay with
    Shonda and the boys for a few days? You will be in your glory. Summertime is coming so I will be spending time with Kim at the lake so I know the feeling. It is bonding time!!!!! And the grandsons will love having Grandma around.

    Glad you are showing some pie recipes. No one knows how to make pies like we used to. This one looks easy and good.

    A bigger shop with a working area? Oh, land sakes....it will pay off with all of your creative ideas! Fun.

    Okay...God be with you. OH? How will Terry eat if you are not home????? Poor Terry!!(hee hee)I am sure you will leave the refrig and freezer full!

    Love, Susannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy ! That pie looks so tasty . Thanks for sharing the recipe . Hope you and your daughter have a wonderful time . Looking forward to seeing and hearing what you gals got up to ! Have a safe and fun trip !

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hubby's favorite pie is apple and yours looks delicious. Have a wonderful visit with your daughter. Mine is moving this weekend from 10 minutes away to 45 minutes away plus a ferry ride.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The apple pie looks so delicious Faye. I hope you enjoy your visit with your daughter and your little trip across the border. We were to Portland on the weekend and had fun. Check out my posts about it. I do believe spring is here too. We cleaned out our flower beds yesterday and today and there is new growth. The rain coming tonight and tomorrow will bring things along and add to that some sunny warm days on the weekend and it'll be really springy! Blessings, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your jar & measuring cup! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My m-i-l taught me this pie crust many years ago and it allowed for a lot more pie baking to get done! We love this crust. Your daughter is so cute and I can sense her sweet spirit. My daughter is half a nation away -- you are so blessed to be so close! Have a fun time and we look forward to hearing from you again soon....
    Lori
    Texas

    ReplyDelete
  8. Faye,
    Your apple pie looks delicious. It is my husband's favorite dessert. I wish I had a slice of it right now. I hope you have a nice visit with your daughter. Spending time with family is one of our greatest gifts.

    Love,
    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  9. This pie looks delicious, Faye, you always share such wonderful recipes. Enjoy your trip and quality time with your daughter. Terry will be missing you for sure, though. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. the pie sounds so good.
    your daughter looks so sweet in that photo.
    hope you have such a good time with your stay over.
    blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the pie crust recipe. I have always hated rolling out pie crust. Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy post! Your pie crust recipe is very much like the one I've used since I was a teen. Sometimes I add wheat germ too. I like pressing the dough into the pie pan instead of worrying about rolling it. I don't use cold milk, though. Instead I use boiling water.

    The pie looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Faye - that looks delicious! I'll have to try it. Have a good and safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yum..
    I love and to keep tea cups in my sugar.
    Have a blessed fun filled time with your daughter.
    Woolie joy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your pie looks absolutely yummy, and I think, like you, there's nothing sweeter than a pie just from the oven! Enjoy your visit with your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Faye;

    The pies look good, perhaps, too good!

    Have fun with Shonda and her family. I am going to spend some time with my daughter in June, maybe we could have lunch together some time before I leave.

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  17. hello faye,
    your pie looks absolutley delicious!!!!!
    have a nice time with your daughter!
    blessings,regina

    ReplyDelete
  18. I need to make this recipe...how easy! And your pie looked wonderful.
    Have a fantastic time with your daughter...you will not miss us that's for sure! lol
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, that pie looks so delicious! And seems so easy to make, too. I don't make pies all that often but I think I should change that :)

    Have fun with your daughter! I look forward to hearing about your trip when you return :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Have a good and safe trip.. your daughter is beautiful. She must get that from you!! :)

    Love that crust recipe ... I use it a lot myself for all types of Quiche, fruit pies (of course!) and even Pecan Pie.

    Yummy.

    Cute! I Love that blue cup in your sugar jar.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I was going to check on our rhubarb today to see if we had enough to make a pie. If so, this will be the crust. I so do not like rolling out pie crusts. This sounds much easier. Thanks again and I hope you have a wonderful visit with your daughter. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  22. *Hello Mrs. Henry* :) I just thought I'd let you know that I've been keeping up with your blog for a couple of *YEARS* :D I *LOVE* it!!! It makes me feel cozy :) I've always loved *Canada* (Anne of Green Gables ;)and so, that's just an extra bonus for me :)Out of all the blogs I've looked at for awhile, then end up deleting-- I've *never* considered stopping yours! You remain in my TOP 3 *FAVORITE* blogs!! :D *Thank You* for taking the time to "open" your world over the internet :) I would surely *miss* you if you ever stopped. Blessings to you <3

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello dear lady,
    Your apple pie looks delicious! If I can get some apples on sale, I will make this on the weekend. Apples have been $1.69 at the Superstore and that is a lot.
    Have fun at your sweet daughters house!
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete