Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Last Ditch Refridgerator Pickles

Good Morning everyone..
Sorry I did not get to this yesterday as promised but I started a project and things got in the way of it.. smile..
Anyway..
Here are a few veggies that we picked up on our way home plus at Kings Landing they had baskets of the cukes that you see.  You could buy as many as you could get in a bag for $3.50...
A good deal, eh?
So....
I will give you the recipe that I made with the cukes and peppers first.. ok?
I call these my 

 LAST DITCH REFRIGERATOR PICKLES..
Uusally because they are the very last pickle I make before they get too big to do anything other than mustard ones..
Here is the recipe..
3 cups of white sugar
2 cups of cider vinegar or whatever you have
2 tablespoons of kosher salt 
1 tsp. tumeric
1 1/2 tsp. mustard seed
3/4 tsp. celery seed.. 
Put this in a large container like a gallon jar or large ice cream container.. 
Stir well..
And then.... 
Slice up a pepper or two..
You use can use red and green or
I added a green pepper and 1/2 of a jalapeno one..
We like a bit of hot but not too much.. smile..
Or you can use sweet red pepper..
Whatever you have or like..
Also 1 large onion in slices...
Put this all in your juice and stir..
Then..
6 good cukes the longer and thinner the better..
Slice these thin..

I was blessed to have this old mandolin from the seventies which I still use but a good paring knife will slice thin, also...
Add these to the juice to fill up the container to the level of the liquid..
Let stand for a few hours and then they shrink so you can add more if you have them..
Put on a nice tight cover...

As you can see I used an old water filter container which I have going to buy a new filter and haven't yet.. It is perfect because it is skinny and takes less room in the refrigerator..
Oh.. I forgot to tell you that these stay in your fridge and you don't have to heat the juice or anything.. Easy.....
My sweet husband LOVES these pickles... I need to hide them at the very back so it is hard for him to get to.. grin..
They stay in the fridge for 6 months if they last that long..
ENJOY...

Thanks for dropping by and a big welcome to the new followers..
Guess where we are going today...
Yupppp... to the farm..smile...
So, I will check in with you all later...
And I will show you what I did with the cabbages...
Blessings...


A little song that I woke up with on my mind ...

I feel my need Dear Lord of a closer walk with you..
I feel my need Dear Lord if I ever make it through..
After I've run this race...  Don't let it be in vain..
Here's my hand Dear Lord.. Help me the victory gain..

And that is what He wants.. Our desire to walk closer to Him.. 

Love to you all...


4 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful and yummy ! Have a great day !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pickles look so good. I love pickles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your day at the farm! I know my dad would love your pickles!
    Blessings
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Faye, this is a recipe that even I can do. Sounds easy enough. Thanks so much for sharing. Do you need to keep stirred or anything? I might just have to try these. Hope you had a great day at the farm.
    Hugs
    Angela

    ReplyDelete